Carlson Building Map
Library Entrance/Exit - Level 1 Only
Emergency Exits (RED)
Main Stairs (Light BLUE)
Carlson Library's four public levels
Carlson Library consists of five levels. All users enter on Level 1 and are free to
use the top four levels.
Level A (think of it as "Almost the basement") is located below Level 1 and is partially underground.
Level B (the Basement) is used for long-term storage of older periodicals and is not accessible to the general public. However, if you need something from storage, our Circulation staff is happy to retrieve it for you.
Here, you find the Circulation and Reference Desks, InterLibrary Loan Department, Periodicals, and four semi-private study rooms. Level 1 is also home to the Administrative Department, and computer labs in the Reference and Periodicals areas.
The Center for Academic Excellence occupies a large portion of Level A. This area is used for meetings, classes, presentations, and general study. Although not the largest in the building, the computer lab here is arguably the most popular...possibly because the S.W.A.T. (Students Who Assist [with] Technology) Desk is nearby. Two Collaborative Group Study rooms and a multi-purpose vending machine are also available, as well as the University Archives, media, oversized, textbook, juvenile, and young adult book collections.
The Information and Library Science Department occupies Level 2 with the Library collection spanning call numbers N through Z (including PR-PZ). This level is designated as a "Quiet Zone" for those who need silence to concentrate on their study.
The top level of Carlson Library is where the Library Systems Administrator and the Technical Services Department live. This level bears the "Quiet Zone" designation, and affords small groups a place to meet in semi-private rooms where low-volume conversation is permitted. The Library's collections from call number A to M, as well as P to PQ are found here.
- Administrative Office
- Archives - Ask at Reference for access
- Art Gallery
- Board Room
- Browsing Collection
- Center for Academic Excellence
- Class Reserves - Ask at Circulation for access.
- Collaborative Study Rooms (Level A) - Room A-18 & Room A-20
- Computer Lab (Level A)
- Computer Lab (Level 1)
- Computer Lab (Level 2)
- Conference Room A
- Conference Room B
- Dean's Office
- Folio Collection
- Folio Collection (Bibliography & Library Science)
- Frederick Douglass Collection
- InterLibrary Loan Office (ILL)
- iPads - For use in and outside of Library. Ask at Circulation to borrow.
- Juvenile Fiction
- Juvenile Non-Fiction
- Laptops (For in-library use only) Ask at Circulation to borrow.
- Library Instruction Lab
- Library Science Department Offices
- Media (Cassette, CD, DVD, Realia, VHS)
- Periodicals (Current)
- Periodicals (Back Issues) - Stored on Level B. Ask at Circulation for access.
- Quarto Collection
- Quarto Collection (Bibliography & Library Science)
- Special Collection - Ask at Circulation for access.
- Study Rooms (Level A)
- Study Rooms (Level 1)
- Study Rooms (Level 3)
- S.W.A.T. Team Desk - Student Who Assist (with) Technology
- Technical Services Department
- Textbooks (K-12)