admission criteria - WhAt We Look For
Clarion University evaluates students by considering multiple areas:
- High school curriculum
- Grade-point average
- SAT and/or ACT test scores*
- Letters of recommendation & essay (optional)
*Clarion is now test optional
1. Students can apply for test optional admission if they have a 3.0 GPA or higher.
GPA does not automatically guarantee admission to the university. High school curriculum,
trends in grades and rigor of coursework will be
reviewed and considered for admission.
2. Clarion University is now reviewing incoming freshman for the 2021 academic year for scholarships under a test optional policy. The university now offers both merit and need-based scholarships. Students will automatically be considered for merit scholarships upon admission to the university based upon their GPA (and class rank, if available). If SAT and/or ACTs are available, we do encourage students to submit them, however, they are not required.
Students will be considered for a Clarion Grant (need-based scholarships) upon receipt of their FAFSA form. All students are highly encouraged to submit their FAFSA form for full consideration. Priority scholarship application deadline is March 1, 2021.
3. Students interested in Clarion University’s Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) can now apply for test optional admission. Students will be automatically considered for BSN admission regardless of a test on file if they have a 3.5 GPA or higher. GPA does not automatically guarantee admission to the program. High school curriculum, specifically science and mathematics courses, trends in grades and overall rigor of coursework will be reviewed. Students whose GPA ranges between a 3.0-3.49 GPA will be considered for admission into the BSN program by the Admissions review committee and are encouraged to submit a SAT or ACT score. Students wishing to transfer from another higher education institution into the BSN program must meet all admission criteria as described above and are required to provide their college transcript(s) indicating they have a minimum 2.75 GPA or higher. The priority deadline for BSN consideration is December 15th.
Students interested in Clarion University’s Associate of Science in Nursing (ASN) can now apply for test optional admission. Students will be automatically considered
for ASN admission regardless of a SAT or ACT test on file if they have a 2.75 GPA
or higher. GPA does not automatically guarantee admission to the program. High school
curriculum, specifically science and mathematics courses, trends in grades and overall
rigor of coursework will be reviewed. ASN students are required to take the TEAS exam
as part of their admission into the ASN program. Students wishing to transfer from
another higher education institution into the ASN program must meet all admission
criteria as described above and are required to provide their college transcript(s).
College courses, specifically science and mathematics courses, will be reviewed. Priority
deadline for ASN consideration is May 15th.
4. Students considering the 5-year BS-to-MS Speech Pathology, LECOM-affiliated programs (pre-medicine, pre-dental, pre-pharmacy), Logan Chiropractic program must submit standardized test scores.
*Should standardized testing requirements change for Clarion major requirements, Admissions will notify students.
Most applicants complete:
- Four units of English
- Four units of mathematics (typically algebra, geometry, trigonometry or pre-calculus)
- Three units of lab science (typically biology, chemistry and another inquiry-based lab or technical science)
- Two units of social sciences (typically world cultures, history, psychology or sociology)
- Two or more years of a language are strongly encouraged, but not required
Graduation Requirement: All students must graduate from an approved secondary school or have obtained a (GED) General Education Development high school equivalency diploma issued by the Pennsylvania (or associated state) Department of Education. Home-schooled applicants must be a graduate of a Department of Education-approved home-school association program.
Clarion Honors Program - Fly Even Higher!
Our Honors Program provides a challenging academic track for advanced student learning. Approximately 50 students are accepted into the Honors Program each year. Competitive students have a minimum high school GPA of 3.64 or higher.
Admissions "How To" Information