Beginning September 8, 2020: 140 Classroom Hours + a Clinical Externship
This program is intended for students who want to prepare for an exciting, challenging and rewarding career in healthcare. This program will train students to assist physicians by performing functions related to the clinical responsibilities of a medical office. Instruction includes among other things:
- preparing patients for examination and treatment
- routine laboratory procedures
- diagnostic testing
- technical aspects of phlebotomy
- the cardiac life cycle
Students will review important topics including:
- the proper use and administration of medications
- taking and documenting vital signs
- cardiology including proper lead placements
- a professional workplace behavior
- ethics and the legal aspects of healthcare
This program includes 140 hours of classroom lecture and hands on labs and a clinical externship opportunity at a local healthcare provider. To be eligible for the clinical rotation, students must successfully complete the 140 hour program, submit to a thorough background check, drug screening and meet other requirements. Note: Upon successful completion of this program, students would be eligible to sit for the National Healthcareer Association (NHA) Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) national examination.
Fee: $2,399 (includes all textbooks)
Clinical Externship Hours: 160 hours
Clarion University offers non-credit-bearing and credit-bearing certificates. An example of credit-bearing certificates are the Opioid Treatment Specialist Certificate, Public Relations, and Advanced Paralegal Studies in Oil and Gas. These programs are a great enhancement to degree programs and to complement education already attained. If you are interested in enrolling in a credit-bearing certificate please contact Admissions.
Continuing Education non-credit certificate programs provide students the opportunity to enhance their employability in high-demand fields or to grow in a current job.
Certificate programs are a good choice for students who are:
- Unsure if they want to commit to a degree program
- Want to gain skills in one year to secure employment
- In need of additional training or skills to advance in their current employment.
By taking a combination of classes, you are able to gain confidence, excellent job skills and a rewarding career.The non-credit certificate programs provide hands-on training and live classroom time as well as online instruction with qualified instructors.
Advanced Medical Technician
The program has four modules including Administrative Medical Assistant, Clinical Medical Assistant, Pharmacy Technician and Phlebotomy Technician. You may choose to complete all four components to earn the master credential of Advanced Medical Technician or complete only the components of choice and receive recognition for completing those components. Invoicing will be based on only the components for which students register. Students can complete all four components in just 12 months.
The one-year certificate program is offered through a partnership with Condensed Curriculum International. Students who complete the program are eligible to sit for certification in a variety of fields that are governed and accredited by the American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians, Pharmacy Technician Certification Board, and to become a Registered Medical Office Assistant.
Module 1 – The Administrative Medical Assistant module provides you with training to function in many administrative and clerical positions in health care. Medical administrative assistants, medical secretary and medical records clerks are positions in great demand. The program covers important background information on medical terminology, insurance billing and coding, medical ethics, customer services and legal aspects. Students receive a well-rounded introduction to medical administration and gain skills to obtain a medical administrative assistant position in health care. Complete Program Description
Module 2 – The Clinical Medical Assistant module provides you with the skills necessary to function in the back office setting of medical practices. Students will learn to collect vitals, the various medical instruments, draping and positioning, medical record documentation, suturing, administration of EKG's, immunizations/injections, and how to assist in minor office surgery. Complete Program Description
Module 3 – The Pharmacy Technician module prepares you to enter the pharmacy field and to take the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board exam. Technicians work in hospitals, home infusion pharmacies, community pharmacies and other health care settings. Pharmacy Technicians work under the supervision of a registered pharmacist. Course content includes medical terminology specific to the pharmacy, reading and interpreting prescriptions, and defining drugs by generic and brand names. Students will learn dosage calculations, I.V. flow rates, drug compounding, dose conversions, prescription dispensing, inventory control, and billing and reimbursement. Complete Program Description
Module 4 – The Phlebotomy Technician module provides you with the training you need to become a member of the clinical laboratory team, whose main function is to obtain a patient's blood specimen by venipuncture and microcollection. Phlebotomists work under the supervision of medical technologists or laboratory managers. Phlebotomists are employed in hospitals, neighborhood health centers, medical group practices, HMOs, public health facilities, veterans hospitals, insurance carriers and in various other settings. This 90-hour program is offered in the spring of each year. Complete Program Description
"The Phlebotomy program was an amazing experience for me. I was able to complete the hands-on classroom training and clinical rotation in less then nine months. The teacher was great and would review hard-to-learn concepts until we mastered them. The thing I loved the most is that I was able to obtain a good paying job within weeks of completing the program and without having to go to school for years." - Samantha Blandi
The Dental Assisting program prepares you for entry level positions in one of the fastest growing health care positions. This course familiarizes you with all areas of pre-clinical dental assisting and provides training to function as an assistant in the dental practice. Complete Program Description
Students will learn:
- the history of dentistry
- the legal aspects of dentistry
- policies and guidelines
- oral anatomy
- dental operatory
- operation and maintenance
- tooth structure
- oral cavity and related structures
- proper patient positioning
- dental hand-pieces
Emergency Medical Training (EMT) | Register Now
This program will provide you with the overall roles and responsibilities of an EMT.
Some of the topics covered:
- Medical, legal, and ethical communication
- Lifting and moving
- Patient assessment
- Providing emergency care
- Vehicle extrication
- Incident management
- Hazmat awareness
- Scene assessment and transport of patients
The program is offered in a hybrid format of classroom based and online instruction and is a collaboration between Clarion Hospital, Clarion University and the Venango Technology Center. The cost of the program is $800 and includes the online resource materials and an eBook.
The course includes a Pennsylvania State practical skills evaluation and written examination, which, if passed, will provide a PA state certification as an EMT.
From 2011 – 2016 Pennsylvania lost 327 EMTs (EMMCO West Regional Assessment 2016-2017)
The average Emergency Medical Technician salary in Pennsylvania is approximately $12.96 per hour, which meets the national average. (Salary information comes from 403 data points collected directly from employees, users, and past and present job advertisements on Indeed.com in the past 12 months - June 2017)
There are currently more than 400 open EMT positions across Pennsylvania.
Next class September 2020
Legal Office Supervisor
This program prepares you to work in the legal environment, which can include a law firm, a non-profit agency or at local, county and state government agencies that employ staff with expertise in this field. Course content establishes a foundation of solid legal concepts along with in-depth knowledge on related subjects that make the legal administrator one of the most integral members in the organization.
Employers who wish to train existing personnel in this field will find the flexible schedule of this program ideal. It addresses those areas that employees may be lacking, thus making them an even more valuable asset upon successful completion of the program. This one-year program is a combination of credit and non-credit classes. The college credits you earn will apply to the Associate of Paralegal Studies degree. This course of study does not qualify a student to work as a paralegal.
Medical Office Supervisor
This program addresses the demands of medical facilities that need quality office personnel to handle the varied responsibilities demanded by this unique employer base. You are likely to be employed throughout the health care system in positions that require supervisory and leadership skill sets. You will gain knowledge in business from communications and bookkeeping, to fundamentals of management and medical coding. Through this one-year program you will gain quality job skills as well as college credit that can be applied to any of the associate degrees offered at Clarion University — Venango.
Medical Scribe Specialist
Certified Medical Scribe Specialists' are given formal didactic training as well as
clinical training directly with patients. They must demonstrate a mastery of medical
terminology, department flow, physician note documentation, HIPAA and CMS policies.
Upon graduation, you are eligible to sit for MSCAT. If you successfully pass MSCAT and do not have 200 hours of clinical employment experience, you will be recognized as a Certified Medical Scribe Apprentice (CMSA). Once 200 clinical employment hours are fulfilled, full recognition of CMSS will be awarded. (Exception: those individuals possessing a certification or licensure of practical nurse, registered nurse, paramedic, certified medical assistant, or graduate from a clinical training program will be awarded CMSS upon successfully completing 50 hours of clinical experience). Complete Program Description.
Online Medical Billing and Coding
This program offers the skills needed to perform complex coding and billing procedures. The course covers CPT (introduction, guidelines, evaluation and management), specialty fields (such as surgery, radiology and laboratory), ICD-9/ICD-10 (introduction and guidelines) and basic processes for insurances reimbursements. Complete Program Description
This innovative program prepares you to fill entry-level supervisory openings. The unique course content includes continuing education, college credits, and half-day seminars taught by seasoned professionals with expertise in manufacturing, targeted critical areas of hiring, staff evaluation, and employee motivation and conflict management.
Employers will spend less of their resources to address issues by having a candidate pool with the skill sets learned in this program. It is also designed to provide regional employers' incumbent workforce an opportunity to learn supervisory skills for future promotion. The training provides instruction for a broad array of management, supervisors, crew leaders and/or foremen-oriented positions.
Criteria for Continuing Education Certificate Programs:
- High school diploma or successful completion of the G.E.D. exam.
- Act 33 and 34 (child abuse and criminal background) clearances for advanced medical technician, pharmacy technician and phlebotomy technician certificate programs.
- High school seniors may apply.
- Students must achieve a grade of "C" or better in all courses and must maintain a 90 percent attendance rate in order to receive a certificate of completion.
To register for these programs, contact Interim Director of Workforce Development Dr. Tammy M. Dulaney at:
Clarion University — Venango
1801 West First St.
215 Frame Hall
Oil City, PA 16301
814 676 6591, ext. 1273
814 676 1348 (fax)
New – Clarion University - Online E-Learning Healthcare Courses
The Health Ed Today courses were developed through a partnership with leading education organizations including Pearson Education, E-College and Condensed Curriculum International.
These courses are highly interactive and provide students with an enriched learning experience. Each course includes:
- 24-hours-a-day instructor support and course mentors
- Engaging labs, student exercises and course videos
- All textbooks, workbooks and student materials
- A new secure student website – including career resources and other training
- Certain programs include clinical externships
The following courses are available anytime:
- Pharmacy Technician / Student Tuition: $1,299
- Clinical Medical Assistant / Student Tuition: $2,499
- Dental Assisting / Student Tuition: $1,299
- Medical Billing & Coding / Student Tuition: $1,399
- Medical Coding ICD-10 / Student Tuition: $999
- EKG Technician / Student Tuition: $1,299
- Electronic Health Records Management / Student Tuition: $1,299
- Phlebotomy Technician / Student Tuition: $1,299
- Medical Administrative Assistant / Student Tuition: $1,299
- Dialysis Technician / Student Tuition: $1,299
- Medical Terminology / Student Tuition: $499
- ECG / EKG Course for Nurses / Student Tuition: $699
Note: ask us about national or state certification and clinical externship opportunities through these courses
To ensure that all students have the resources they need to succeed, students will have access to a secure Student Portal website which includes: http://www.healthedtoday.com/Clarion
Additional online training includes:
- Career building exercises, resume writing tips, interview techniques, etc..
- Career mentors who are there to help students take the next step in their career.
- Other skills training including lifelong learning skills, healthcare review, etc.
E-Learning Programs Accessible Anytime, Anywhere.
We offer leading workforce education and training programs to students, professionals, trade organizations and employers by providing best-in-class eLearning courses, externship opportunities and related support services.
Through engaging online eLearning programs coupled with one-on-one student support, both new students and seasoned professionals have the ability to complete comprehensive courses in high-demand disciplines and related certifications in every field. Our courses bring together insightful and compelling content presentations as well as constructive exercises and challenging knowledge checks to create an enriching, successful learning experience for students at all levels www.myedtoday.com/Clarion
Clarion University, in partnership with Ed2Go offers online programs designed to provide the skills necessary to acquire professional level positions for many in-demand occupations.
All you need is a web-enabled computer and a desire to learn skills that will prepare you for a new career or update current skill sets. A team of available online professionals, anytime scheduling, and educational textbooks combine to give you a relevant, interactive learning experience.
- Healthcare and fitness - Certificate programs in medical coding, transcription, pharmacy, and other popular fields.
- Business and professional - Offers eBusiness, Six Sigma Black Belt Certification, and others to increase your success in the business world.
- IT and software development - Hands-on courses give the experience you need in the ever-expanding world of technology.
- Management and corporate - Courses include valuable training in project management, IT management, lean mastery, Six Sigma, and other essential management skills.
- Media and design - Develop techniques in graphic design, web design, event management and design, and residential interior design.
- Hospitality and service industry - Train for a career in the hospitality and service industries, on your own schedule.
- Skilled trades and industrial - Learn the skills you need to gain employment as an operator in the heavy industry job market.
- Sustainable energy and going green - Thousands of new green jobs being created in the U.S. make now the perfect time to learn skills for this exciting industry.
- Career Online - Career-credentialed certificate programs for in-demand careers.
FOR A COMPLETE LISTING OF ALL TITLES, PLEASE VISIT ed2go AT CAREER TRAINING
Dr. Tammy M. Dulaney
Interim Director, Workforce Development
Clarion University, Venango
1801 West First Street
215 Frame Hall
Oil City, PA 16301
814 676 6591, ext. 1273
814 676 1348 (fax)