PennWest Clarion Pittsburgh Site
The PennWest Clarion Pittsburgh Site is affiliated with and located in West Penn Hospital School of Nursing at 4900 Friendship Avenue in the Bloomfield section of Pittsburgh.
WEst Penn Hospital's 2-year diploma rn advantages
2-Year RN Diploma graduates and 4-year BSN graduates take the same Registered Nurse licensing exam (NCLEX-RN) requires to enter practice.
By about the fourth week into the program, you will begin to interact with patients. By the end of our first 10-week term you will know not only how to talk with patients to obtain a health history but also how to:
- perform a basic nursing physical exam
- perform skills such as taking vital signs, bathing, and doing blood sugar testing
With an earlier clinical/hospital experience, you can more quickly determine if nursing is your preferred career.
The WPHSON program will give you a greater number of clinical/hospital hours and a larger number of hands-on experiences before you graduate. Simulation experiences are used to enhance learning but do not substitute for hospital clinical experiences. Actual hospital clinical experiences far outweigh simulation within the program.
Diverse clinical/hospital experiences are arranged to cover a variety of nursing specialties, including:
- Emergency Room
- Operating Room
- Neonatal Intensive Care
- Home Health
- School Nursing
- and other basic nursing specialties such as Medical-Surgical, OB, and Pediatrics
Upon graduation you can enter a nursing job in the specialty of your choice. You can then build on the RN by earning a BSN and higher degrees. Transition right into PennWest Clarion's Diploma to BSN program and you are more than halfway to earning your BSN.
highlights of the RN Diploma program:
- on-site articulation with PennWest Clarion
- on-site financial aid and day care
- only Pittsburgh diploma school with on-site housing
- sponsored by the region's first Magnet-recognized hospital
from diploma to bsn
Build your degree
- Online program accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN)
- Rolling admissions and 7-week semesters
- Complete part-time in just 15 months
- Graduate nurses may be admitted to the RN-BSN program on a provisional basis while awaiting NCLEX results
as a healthcare professional,
you understand what makes your career so worthwhile. You see it in your patient's faces every day. If you're ready to make an even greater impact on their lives, choose the RN-BSN Online Degree Completion Program at PennWest Clarion.
as a WPHSON graduate
you will only need to complete 52 more credits. The program is designed for busy adults who can not travel to campus due to distance, job commitments or family responsibilities. You can earn your RN-BSN degree on a full-time or part-time basis, fully online.
as part of your diploma requirements
you will complete PennWest Clarion courses that include Anatomy and Physiology I & II, Microbiology, Nutrition, Writing, Ethics, and Psychology, which allows you to easily transition into PennWest Clarion's Bachelor of Science in Nursing (B.S.N.) program.
WHat if... i am rigHt Out Of HigH ScHOOl aNd Have NO cOllege creditS?
By taking all of the general education courses required for the WPHSON program at the Pittsburgh Site of PennWest Clarion and by completing the WPHSON program, you will be only 52 credits away from PennWest Clarion's RN-BSN. You will find PennWest Clarion's BSN to be very cost-effective when compared to other BSN programs, and all Clarion BSN courses are conveniently offered online.
WHat if... I Have taken cOurSeS at aNOtHer cOllege Or uNiverSity? Will tHey traNSfer iNtO PennWest clariON aNd HelP me earN tHe BSN degree?
Yes, courses earned at other properly accredited colleges or universities will transfer into Clarion in accordance with PennWest Clarion's transfer policy. If the courses that you transfer in are courses required for the WPHSON program, then they will apply toward Clarion's degree. To earn Clarion's degree, you must earn a minimum of 30 credits from PennWest Clarion.
WHat if... i WaNt tO get a Head Start ON SOme Of my geNeral educatiON cOurSeS BefOre i Start at WPHSON?
You may complete general education courses at Clarion prior to starting the West Penn program. PennWest Clarion has course offerings in the fall and spring semesters, as well as during summer. Each student's situation may be unique. We will be happy to discuss your specific needs and help you to determine a plan that will lead to a degree from PennWest Clarion.
- Nursing in Transition
- Culture and Care in Nursing
- Clinical Thinking in Nursing
- Health Literacy in Nursing Practice
- Trends and Issues in Professional Nursing Practice
- Research in Nursing
- Leadership in Nursing
- Promoting Healthy Communities
- Advanced Concepts in Professional Nursing
- Maternal & Child Health
- Mental Health
- Adult Health
- Fall term July 26 to Oct. 1, 2021
- Winter term Oct. 11 to Dec. 17, 2021
- Spring term Jan. 3 to March 11, 2022
- Summer term March 21, 2022, to May 27, 2022
Questions about the program?
Kevin Debow, MS
Pittsburgh Site Coordinator
+1 412 578 5239