Department of Nursing
Joyce Keenan, CRNP, MSN, RNC
Interim Chair of Nursing and
220 Montgomery Hall
Oil City, PA 16301
814-676-6591, Ext. 1258
Choose Your Program:
Associate of Science in Nursing (Venango campus)
RN-Bachelor of Science in Nursing (Online)
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (Clarion campus)
Master of Science in Nursing (Online)
Doctor of Nursing Practice (Online)
3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850
Atlanta, Georgia 30326
Phone: (404) 975-5000
218 Montgomery Hall
814-676-6591, ext. 1250
- Human Flourishing,
- Nursing Judgment,
- Professional Identity,
- and a Spirit of Inquiry.
2015 NLN Test Information (ASN Students only)
Fall test dates:
November 6, 2015 9:00 am – 12:00 pm Clarion Campus
November 20, 2015 9:00 am – 12:00 pm Venango Campus
December 2, 2015 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm Venango Campus
December 4, 2015 9:00 am – 12:00 pm Clarion Campus
January 22, 2016 9:00 am – 12.00 pm Venango Campus
January 29, 2016 9:00 am – 12.00 pm Clarion Campus
February 12. 2016 9:00 am – 12:00 pm Venango Campus
March 18, 2016 9:00 am – 12.00 pm Venango Campus
"Fall 2014 was my first experience with online classes, Clarion, and the RN-BSN program. I was very anxious and uncertain at the beginning of the program but can honestly say I now feel empowered. I have learned so much and can actively participate in conversations about the costs of healthcare, the PPACA, and current practices that I never would have believed possible when this semester started. I truly believe the instructors want us, as a class, to succeed. I am now certain that I made the right decision in choosing this program and Clarion."
- Laura Ravotti (current student)
Venango campus (RN-BSN)
218 Montgomery Hall
814-676-6591, ext. 1251
The Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree builds upon the knowledge of registered
nurses and continues their education online. The program aims to provide educational
experiences designed to promote scientific inquiry, creative thinking, critical judgment
and personal development. This establishes the basis for a variety of BSN learning
activities that focus on professional nursing practice.
Gain credit for what you already know
College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
- Review Clarion University's policy and procedure for Credit for Life Experience.
- Obtain from the School of Nursing a course syllabus for each course you are seeking credit for life experience.
- Complete the Credit for Life Experience Form (CLEF).
- Attach to the form a detailed narrative documenting life experiences related to specific course work. Each objective of the course is to be addressed in the narrative.
- Submit a portfolio of additional documentation which supports the life experience. Documentation may include but is not limited to a resume, certificates, grant proposals, project descriptions, brochures, pamphlets, and conference agendas.
- Submit a hard copy of all of the above information to the School of Nursing. Packets may be mailed to the office, or hand delivered to either Venango campus or the Pittsburgh site. Credit for Life Experience will not be considered until the packet is complete.
- Faculty and the Department Chair will review the packet and make a recommendation to the Director of the School of Health Sciences within 4 weeks of receiving the packet.
- The final decision for Credit for Life Experience rests with the Director of the School of Health Sciences. Students will be notified of the decision of the Director within 2 weeks of receiving the recommendation of the faculty and Department Chair. Students may apply for a maximum of six (6) credits for life experience in nursing.
Clarion campus (BSN4Y)
The program utilizes a highly successful clinical immersion model in which several instructional methods are used to support lectures and discussions. Simulation laboratories, volunteer experiences in health care agencies, and creative, hands-on experiences such as live standardized patient labs and research studies are in place throughout the freshman through junior years as components of clinical learning to support senior-level clinical preparation.
The Clarion and Edinboro universities Master of Science in Nursing degree program offers a concentration in Family Nurse Practitioner. The didactic coursework is online; focused clinical and internship experiences are offered in local health care and educational agencies. Students must live within a two-hour drive of Edinboro University or Clarion University's Clarion, Venango or Pittsburgh campuses.
Post-Master's Certificate Programs
For individuals already holding a master's degree in nursing, options include a post-master's certificate as a Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP), or a second master's degree in the FNP concentration.
- Accessibility. With the exception of clinical experiences, internships and select skill labs, course work is delivered in an online format that is available to students 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Affordability. Tuition is competitive as part of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education.
- Responsiveness. Program graduates meet regional health care needs by providing primary care in rural and medically underserved communities.
- Quality. The U.S. News & World Report Best Online Education Program Rankings, 2015 edition, ranked the Clarion and Edinboro Universities Master of Science in Nursing Program among top programs for the third year in a row.
- Success. Over the past three years students maintained a 97% first-time pass rate on FNP certifying exams. In addition, graduates are in high demand by employers and many have continued their educations at the doctoral level.
Note: Students who are not enrolled in the program but take individual classes that are included in the curriculum are subject to course surcharges.
*Due to state authorization requirements, we are currently only able to accept students from Pennsylvania or those who otherwise hold an RN license in Pennsylvania and are willing to complete all clinical practice hours within a 2-hours driving time of the Edinboro/Erie area and Clarion University sites in Clarion, Oil City, and Pittsburgh.
*34 credits post-masters to DNP completion
The Clarion and Edinboro Universities' DNP Program offers specialty electives in advanced clinical practice and clinical nursing education. The program is designed to be flexible, affordable, and professionally rewarding.
Laurie Cracolici Field Internship Coordinator/DNP Assistant
EDINBORO UNIVERSITY OF PA
Wiley Arts & Science Center, Suite 111
Edinboro, PA 16444
814.732.1343/Fax : 814.732.2534
Dr. Colleen R. Bessetti-Barrett, DNP, CRNP, FNP-BC | Assistant Professor
Jeremy Brown Human Services Building
215 Scotland Road Office #122
Edinboro, PA 16444
The DNP is designed to build on the MSN-FNP degree. Applications will be open to any MSN-prepared advanced practice nurse (NP, CNS, CRNA, or CNM) who meets admission requirements:
- Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) or other master's degree from an accredited program
with a GPA of
3.25 or higher. Note: Applicants with a master's degree other than nursing may require additional coursework prior to enrollment, as determined by a review of official transcripts.
The online, part-time structure accommodates employment as an advanced practice nurse while pursuing the DNP, thus easing the financial burden.
In 1922 six nurses founded Sigma Theta Tau at the Indiana University Training School for Nurses, now the Indiana University School of Nursing, in Indianapolis, Ind, U.S.A. The founders chose the name from the Greek words Storgé, Tharsos and Timé meaning "love," "courage," and "honor." The honor society became incorporated in 1985 as Sigma Theta Tau International, Inc., a not-for-profit organization with a 501(c)(3) tax status in the United States.
The mission of the Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International is to support the learning, knowledge, and professional development of nurses committed to making a difference in health worldwide.
The vision of the Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International is to create a global community of nurses who lead in using knowledge, scholarship, service and learning to improve the health of the world's people.
Mu Xi Officers
Officer, chair, and committee member positions are immediately available to anyone who is interested. Please contact one of the officers listed above for more information.