Department of Nursing
If you cannot find the information you are looking for or have questions please contact the Department of Nursing. We are happy to assist you in any way that we can. Call 814-393-1251.
Joyce Keenan, CRNP, MSN, RNC
Interim Chair of Nursing and
1801 West First Street
220 Montgomery Hall
Oil City, PA 16301
814-676-6591, Ext. 1258
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics announced in November its expectation that registered nurses will experience greater job growth than any other occupation by 2018, with 581,500 jobs or a 22.2 percent increase.
Associate of Science in Nursing (Venango campus)
RN-Bachelor of Science in Nursing (Online)
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (Clarion campus)
Master of Science in Nursing (Online)
Doctor of Nursing Practice (Online)
3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850
Atlanta, Georgia 30326
Phone: (404) 975-5000
218 Montgomery Hall
814-676-6591, ext. 1250
"After a year of working on a Med/Surg unit in Pittsburgh, I decided to return to school for a bachelor's degree in nursing. Two and a half years ago I accepted the job of my dreams working for a software company. Today, I write, teach and implement Patient Tracking software in hospitals across the United States, Canada and Europe. I still keep my skills up by working as a Nurse PRN for a facility close to my home in Pittsburgh when I am available. Venango College of Clarion University really changed my life. "
Brett Lovett RN MSN - 2006 ASN Graduate
"Fall 2014 was my first experience with online classes, Clarion, and the RN-BSN program. I was very anxious and uncertain at the beginning of the program but can honestly say I now feel empowered. I have learned so much and can actively participate in conversations about the costs of healthcare, the PPACA, and current practices that I never would have believed possible when this semester started. I truly believe the instructors want us, as a class, to succeed. I am now certain that I made the right decision in choosing this program and Clarion."
- Laura Ravotti (current student)
Venango campus (RN-BSN)
218 Montgomery Hall
814-676-6591, ext. 1251
College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
- Review Clarion University's policy and procedure for Credit for Life Experience.
- Obtain from the School of Nursing a course syllabus for each course you are seeking credit for life experience.
- Complete the Credit for Life Experience Form (CLEF).
- Attach to the form a detailed narrative documenting life experiences related to specific course work. Each objective of the course is to be addressed in the narrative.
- Submit a portfolio of additional documentation which supports the life experience. Documentation may include but is not limited to a resume, certificates, grant proposals, project descriptions, brochures, pamphlets, and conference agendas.
- Submit a hard copy of all of the above information to the School of Nursing. Packets may be mailed to the office, or hand delivered to either Venango campus or the Pittsburgh site. Credit for Life Experience will not be considered until the packet is complete.
- Faculty and the Department Chair will review the packet and make a recommendation to the Director of the School of Health Sciences within 4 weeks of receiving the packet.
- The final decision for Credit for Life Experience rests with the Director of the School of Health Sciences. Students will be notified of the decision of the Director within 2 weeks of receiving the recommendation of the faculty and Department Chair. Students may apply for a maximum of six (6) credits for life experience in nursing.
Clarion campus (BSN)
The program utilizes a highly successful clinical immersion model in which several instructional methods are used to support lectures and discussions. Simulation laboratories, volunteer experiences in health care agencies, and creative, hands-on experiences such as live standardized patient labs and research studies are in place throughout the freshman through junior years as components of clinical learning to support senior-level clinical preparation.
All graduates of the MSN-Family Nurse Practitioner program who have taken the accreditation exam have experienced a 100% pass-rate for the 3rd year in a row. - 12/14
2015 U.S. News & World Reports Best Online Programs ranked the Clarion and Edinboro Universities Master of Science in Nursing Program among top programs for the third year in a row.
- Accessibility. With the exception of clinical experiences, internships and select skill labs, course work is delivered in an online format that is available to students 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Affordability. Tuition is competitive as part of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education.
- Responsiveness. Program graduates meet regional health care needs by providing primary care in rural and medically underserved communities.
- Quality. The U.S. News & World Report's Best Online Education Program Rankings, 2015 edition, ranked the Clarion and Edinboro Universities Master of Science in Nursing Program among top programs for the third year in a row.
- Success. Pass rate on FNP certifying exams was 100%. In addition, graduates are in high demand by employers and many have continued their educations at the doctoral level.
Note: Students who are not enrolled in the program but take individual classes that are included in the curriculum are subject to course surcharges.
*Due to state authorization, only Pennsylvania residents can enroll in this program and must live within a two-hour radius of Clarion University sites in Clarion, Oil City and Pittsburgh.
Field Internship Coordinator/DNP Assistant
EDINBORO UNIVERSITY OF PA
Wiley Arts & Science Center, Suite 111
Edinboro, PA 16444
814.732.1343/Fax : 814.732.2534
Dr. Colleen R. Bessetti-Barrett, DNP, CRNP, FNP-BC | Assistant Professor
Department of Nursing
Jeremy Brown Human Services Building
215 Scotland Road Office #122
Edinboro, PA 16444
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Accepting applications until all seats are full. Classes begin Summer 2015.
34 credits post-masters to DNP completion
The DNP is designed to build on the MSN-FNP degree. Applications will be open to any MSN-prepared advanced practice nurse (NP, CNS, CRNA, or CNM) who meets admission requirements:
- Master of Science in Nursing degree;
- National certification as an advanced practice nurse;
- Unencumbered, current license to practice as an advanced practice nurse in the state where internship hours will take place;
- Verification of a minimum of 500 supervised clinical hours from the applicant's graduate program; and
- Graduate GPA > 3.25.
The Clarion and Edinboro Universities' DNP Program is a 34-credit program that offers specialty electives in advanced clinical practice and clinical nursing education. Courses can be taken part-time over 6 semesters in an online format. Students will be admitted in cohorts of 27 and begin courses in the summer. The program is designed to be flexible, affordable, and professionally rewarding. The online, part-time structure accommodates employment as an advanced practice nurse while pursuing the DNP, thus easing the financial burden.
Tuition and Fees:
Tuition PA Resident $590 per credit
Technology Fee $24 per credit
Instructional Support $68 per credit
Student Fee $50 per credit
In 1922 six nurses founded Sigma Theta Tau at the Indiana University Training School for Nurses, now the Indiana University School of Nursing, in Indianapolis, Ind, U.S.A. The founders chose the name from the Greek words Storgé, Tharsos and Timé meaning "love," "courage," and "honor." The honor society became incorporated in 1985 as Sigma Theta Tau International, Inc., a not-for-profit organization with a 501(c)(3) tax status in the United States.
The mission of the Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International is to support the learning, knowledge, and professional development of nurses committed to making a difference in health worldwide.
The vision of the Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International is to create a global community of nurses who lead in using knowledge, scholarship, service and learning to improve the health of the world's people.
Mu Xi Officers
Officer, chair, and committee member positions are immediately available to anyone who is interested. Please contact one of the officers listed above for more information.