Career Connections

Text Alert

Get Connected

Summer School Students

Summer 2013 Costs

Summer Financial Aid Information and Loan request form

Students who would like to use federal and/or state aid for summer must have made Satisfactory Academic Progress during the academic year preceding summer, and must be degree-seeking students at Clarion University enrolled for at least six credits over the summer. Students who do not meet these requirements may want to consider a private loan.

Students who did not use all of their PELL grant eligibility during the academic year (fall and spring semesters), or students who plan to graduate at the end of fall semester may be eligible to use a PELL grant over summer. If you have registered for summer classes, and believe that you are eligible to use a PELL grant for summer, contact the Office of Financial Aid.

You can apply to use a PHEAA state grant for summer by filling out an application on line at However, you should be aware that students are only eligible for PHEAA grants for a maximum of four years, or 8 semesters. If you chose to use a PHEAA grant over the summer, that grant will count toward your 8-semester maximum. You must be enrolled for at least six credits during the summer session for at least 8 weeks to be eligible to use a PHEAA summer grant. In other words, you must be enrolled for at least three credits during each of two sessions. In addition, you must be enrolled for at least  50% of your classes in the classroom (NOT on-line).

You can also apply to use a student loan over summer. You must be enrolled for at least six credits taken anytime over summer. If you elect to use a federal student loan for summer, you will receive one-third of the loan that you would normally be eligible for during the academic year (fall/spring) over the summer; one-third for the fall semester, and the remaining one-third for spring semester. If you would like to use part of your academic year student loan for summer, please complete a summer loan application form and submit it to the Office of Financial Aid by June 1st.

Any student is eligible for campus employment over the summer, regardless of financial need, even incoming freshmen. Students who are not taking classes may work up to 37.5 hours per week. Openings are advertised in the Office of Financial Aid, and on Clarion University's website under Career Services.