- Career Outlook
- Placement Service
- Library and Information Science Position Listings
- Other Library and Information Science Job Links
Prospects for the future are extremely positive for well-prepared new graduates guided by creative faculty advisors. Employment opportunities vary according to the type of library, educational qualifications, and the areas of specialization of the individual preparing to enter the profession. The librarian who is flexible with respect to geographic area and willing to meet the challenge of serving special groups will have especially good opportunities for employment.
Clarion University of Pennsylvania and the Department of Library Science assist both students and alumni in obtaining positions in libraries and related agencies by acting as a clearinghouse for current job information, and by posting vacancy announcements. Official academic transcripts, however, must be requested by the student from the university registrar. The Department of Library Science publishes a comprehensive position listing on the World Wide Web.
The Office of Career Services provides assistance to all graduates by maintaining a file of vacancy notices received from public schools, government agencies, business, and industry. It also provides assistance in preparing resumes and in developing interview and communication skills.
Use the links below to search for library positions either by:
- Academic Careers Online is "a purpose-built web site designed around a single, clear vision: Create the ultimate global career site for educators & administrators." Services are free to job applicants. Added 7 September 2004.
- Advanced Information Management provides information and library personnel staffing services for California libraries. No fees are charged to job seekers who register with this service.
- American Library Association. Includes listings published in American Libraries and College & Research Libraries News.
- American Library Association Placement Center "provides assistance with job placement in conjunction with the ALA Midwinter and Annual Conferences, as well as division national conferences." Added 22 October 2001.
- American Theological Library Association lists job openings in theological libraries. Added 19 November 2003.
- Association of Research Libraries. This site also includes information on residency and internship programs.
- C. Berger Group, Inc. offers positions "as an active member of the temporary workforce" in areas such as cataloging, reference, indexing, systems, etc.
- Cadence Group, Inc., provides permanent and temporary professional and paraprofessional staffing services to corporate, law firm, and government libraries and information centers in the Atlanta, Georgia, area.
- Chronicle of Higher Education. Excellent source for positions in academic libraries.
- CORESTAFF SearchLines, while not a library job site as such, does include listings for positions in special libraries. Added 29 November 2000.
- Delaware Library Association links page provides links to a variety of library associations, regional networks, and the like. Added 1 March 2006.
- EducatorsResources.com, Certification Information. While not a job site, this does provide links to state department of education certification information.
- HigherEdJobs.com <http://www.higheredjobs.com/> is higher education's leading recruitment service, helping colleges and universities attract faculty, administrators and executives for over a decade. Updated 15 April 2009.
Jobs in Library and Information Technology (LITA).
- HOWTO Apply for a Library Job, by John Hubbard, "reviews the steps in getting a library job, with a focus on questions to ask at interviews." Added 27 October 2002.
- Job Vacancies in Pennsylvania is a listing of job vacancies in Pennsylvania public schools compiled by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. URL updated 31 October 2001.
- LIBJOBS Archive. This is an archive of position announcements posted on LIBJOBS, the Library and Information Science Jobs discussion list. URL updated 2 July 2004.
- The Librarian's Job Search Source.
- Library Job Postings on the Internet, compiled by Sarah L. Nesbeitt. URL updated 2 July 2004.
- LibraryJobs Network permits job seekers to put their resumes "where thousands of prospective employers can see [them] each day." This is a fee-based service.
- METRO Magnet provides information on library positions in New York City and West Chester County and is maintained by the Metropolitan New York Library Council. Added 28 August 2003.
- Mountain Plains Library Association Jobline.
- National Teacher Recruitment Clearinghouse, "hosted by Recruiting New Teachers, Inc. (RNT), is a resource for prospective teachers seeking jobs--and for school districts and states seeking qualified teachers."
- PA-Educator.net "is a clearinghouse created to assist school districts in hiring teacher candidates in western Pennsylvania." Applicants complete an online application which school districts can then access.
- Pacific Northwest Library Association, Job Openings in Northwest Libraries. URL updated 31 October 2001.
- Regional Educational Placement (REAP) "provides a national, and regional database of applications for teacher and administrative positions" in which job applicants post their resumes online. Added 18 July 2001.
- Search Associates (library and teaching positions in international schools).
- Standard Application for Teaching Positions in Pennsylvania Public Schools. Download this standard form in any of a variety of formats (e.g., Microsoft Word, etc.). URL updated 31 October 2001.
- Teachers-Teachers.Com connects job seekers with with schools looking for teachers. Create, edit, and post your resume online. The service is free to job seekers.
- University of Kentucky School of Library and Information Science Recommended Library Job Sites. URL updated 2 July 2004.