The Library Science Department offers a variety of programs and locations for both undergraduate and graduate library science education.
The department seeks to prepare each to student to enter, grow within and contribute to librarianship or a related field in the global digital information environment. The faculty, who works alongside you in the program, is strongly committed to traditional library science education. Through their diverse professional backgrounds and research expertise, they can prepare you for a range of emerging careers in librarianship.
The department is dedicated to:
- The nature and role of information in society
- The appropriate use of technology in the provision of library services
- Intellectual freedom
Clarion University Library Science students:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the information profession.
- Create, select, acquire, manage and maintain the information environment by analyzing how users seek out information.
- Demonstrate and explain the principles of organizing recorded information.
- Identify, explain, use and critically evaluate both current and emerging information technologies in libraries and information centers.
- Provide information services to a diverse community.
- Demonstrate an understanding of research by identifying the fundamental characteristics of quantitative and qualitative research.
- Develop a commitment to continuing education by participating in local, regional and national professional development opportunities.
- Demonstrate the principles and practices of administration and management
- Developing and evaluating the budget and additional sources of funding (i.e. grants) in alignment with short and long range goals and objectives.
Accreditations and Certifications
The Clarion University Library Department is accredited by the following organizations:
- American Library Association
- National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education
- Middle States Commission on Higher Education
- Pennsylvania School Library Certification
- Pennsylvania Department of Education Approval