Clarion University has been awarded a $30,000 grant to host Gear UP!, a week-long camp for rising high school seniors from the Harrisburg, Norristown and Allentown school districts.
Through the camp, students will explore careers and requirements, understand college entrance requirements, comprehend financial literacy and financial aid options, identify the best college fit, and increase non-cognitive skills. The ultimate goal is to increase the graduation rate and to help students prepare for post-secondary education.
- Take a one-credit (15 contact hours) freshman seminar course through which they will complete a research project to be presented at the conclusion of camp.
- Meet with Clarion admissions counselors to learn about the college application process and potentially submit college applications while at the camp.
- Write their own college application essay and develop college-essay-writing skills.
- Learn about the financial aid process and scholarship opportunities.
- Attend sessions to learn about: career development (resumes, cover letters, mock interviews), finding student employment, mental/physical wellness in college, campus involvement, careers/majors, faculty expectations, student success resources and what it means to be an alumnus of a college/university.
There is no cost to students to attend. The camp is scheduled for July 14-20 on the Clarion campus. Interested students should contact the Gear UP! office at their schools.
The Gear UP! grant is funded through Pennsylvania's State System of Higher Education and the United States Department of Education.