Dr. Valentine Udoh James
DEGREES EARNED / CERTIFICATIONS / PROFESSIONAL TRAINING
- Ph.D., Urban and Regional Science, Texas A & M University, College Station, TX
- M.A., Environmental Science, Governors State University, Illinois
- B.S., Biology, Tusculum College, Greeneville, Tennessee
- CEI, Certified Environmental Inspector
- CAQS, Certified Air Quality Specialist
PRIMARY COURSES TAUGHT
- Conservation of Natural Resources
- Economic Geography
- Planning the Human Environment
- Sustainable Development
- World Geography
- Environmental Impact Analysis
- Application of Ecological Methods to Environmental Systems Analysis
- Development in Less-industrialized countries of the world – emphasis on African countries
MOST RECENT PUBLICATIONS / PRESENTATIONS
- James, Valentine U. and James Etim (eds.) (2009) Educational Reform in Africa: Essays on Curriculum, Libraries, Counseling, and Grade Levels. The Edwin Mellen Press, Lewistown, New York.
- James, Valentine, Maurice Mongkuo, Carolyn Jewell (Guest Editors) Special Issue of Global Development Studies. Winter 2007 - Summer 2008. Vol. 5, Numbers 1-2.
- James, Valentine U., (2005). Foreword to the book: Business and Economic Development in Emerging Markets: A Collection of Essays. By Rock-Antoine Mehanna published by the Middle East Law Journal distributed by Levant Distributors (2006).
- James, Valentine U., James Etim, Melanie Marshall James, and Ambe Njoh (eds.). 2000. Black Women Writers Across Cultures: An Analysis of Their Contributions. International Scholars Publications and University Press of America. Bethesda, MD.
- James, Valentine U., (ed.) 1999. Sustainable Development in Africa: Prospects for the Twenty-first Century. International Scholars Publications, Bethesda, MD.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- 2009 Membership of Beta Gamma Sigma, Clarion University of Pennsylvania Chapter
- 2009 Membership of Phi Kappa Phi, Clarion University of Pennsylvania Chapter
- 1996-1997 Listed in Who's Who in American Education, 5th Edition
- 1992 American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS-Science and Technology Diplomacy Fellowship
- 1983-1988 University of California President's Post-Doctoral Fellowship
CURRENT PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
- Association of American College and Universities for Fayetteville State University
- African Studies Association
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Planning Association
- Environmental Assessment Association
- 1998-Present Editor-in-Chief: Journal of Sustainable Development in Africa (JSDA)
- 2015-Present Member of the Editorial Board: Journal of Geoscience and Environment Protection
- 2013-Present Director of the Sustainable Development and Sustainability Institute of East Africa
- 2012-Present Member of Advisory Board, University of Massachusetts, Boston, Center for Rebuilding Sustainable Communities After Disasters