Admission & Requirements
In order to be eligible for enrollment into the Honors Program, you must be accepted to Clarion University of Pennsylvania, main campus. Approximately 50 students are accepted into the Honors Program each year. Learn more about Clarion University admission information.
What is the Application deadline?
There is a rolling deadline until May 1, 2017, or until all spaces are filled.
Who may apply?
- Freshmen (incoming and currently enrolled)
- Upper-classmen and transfer students will be considered
We invite students to participate in our Honors Program based on both of the following criteria:
- Minimum score on one of the following exams:
- Minimum SAT score of 1220 on the NEW SAT
- Minimum SAT score of 1150 (mathematics and critical reading only) on the OLD SAT
- ACT composite score of 25 or higher
- Minimum high school GPA of 3.64 or 92 percent
Students who do not meet both these requirements may still apply. This application process will include:
- A personal interview
- A written statement
- Recommendations (optional)
Note: recommendations typically come from teachers or guidance counselors who know applicants well in an academic context.
- Other factors will be considered such as demonstrating leadership, communication skills, etc.
Does the Honors program require extra classes?
To earn a minor in Honors on his/her degree, a student must complete a minimum of 19 Honors credits (seven courses) and maintain the academic standards of the program. Honors courses will replace certain general education courses that are required for all majors. Three of 19 Honors credits (one course) must be earned in the student's major area of study. These hours are taken as part of the student's degree program and do not represent credits beyond normal graduation requirements.
What are the requirements to earn an Honors minor?
- Complete 19 Honors credits
- Maintain academic standards of the program:
- Freshman: 3.0
- Sophomore: 3.2
- Junior: 3.4
- One Honors course must be earned in the student's major of study. Typically, the Senior Project satisfies this requirement.
what are the Benefits of being an Honors member?
- Priority Registration
- Enriched Curriculum
- Annual scholarship eligibility
- Faculty Mentorship
- Field experiences
- International Scholarship opportunities
How will my completion of the Honors Program be recognized?
Honors graduates receive special recognition at commencement ceremonies and their transcripts indicate that they have completed the Honors program.
Are there any scholarships reserved for Honors students?
Scholarships and financial aid provisions are available for students enrolled in the Honors program. The Foundation Honors Scholarship is available to members of the Honors program beginning their sophomore year. This scholarship is renewable for up to four years, provided program requirements are met. Awards are based on academic achievement and evidence of leadership and motivation.
Are there any QPA requirements for students in the Honors Program?
Freshman students enrolled in the Clarion University Honors Program must maintain a 3.00, sophomores must maintain a 3.25, and juniors and seniors must maintain a 3.40 QPA.
Is the Honors Program affiliated with any national organizations?
Clarion University's Honors Program is a member of the National Collegiate Honors Council, placing it in contact with honors programs nationwide.