The Sigma Sigma Sigma Collegiate Advisory Board received the Advisory Board of the Year Award from its national headquarters this year.
This award is given to one CAB that provides outstanding leadership, guidance, advice and service. It also required that the CAB maintain 100 percent efficiency.
Some of that efficiency includes a large time investment for the CAB members including, but not limited to:
- At minimum, attending one chapter officer meeting and one chapter meeting per month
- Communicating regularly with CAB members, officers etc.
- Having and maintaining an email account that is checked once a week
- Communicating with their assigned collegiate positions at least once a week
The advisory board completes all of these expectations, and is to model leadership, support national organization policies, and meet once a month as an entire advisory team.
"The awards committee was thoroughly impressed and felt that this CAB provides the appropriate amount of challenge and support to coach and guide the chapter," said Mandi Stranges, who presented the award to the chapter. "The energy of this group collectively is amazing; they are committed to this sisterhood for life and are all excellent role models for the sisterhood. The CAB members know when to support one another in their advisory roles, and respect and support one another in each other's personal lives. Sometimes it feels like they were active sisters together even with the years between them."
CAB member Annamarie Shutey Mellett ('80) believes what they have is rare, but understands why they continue to do this work.
"For a CAB to all support their alma mater is rare since women move away," Mellett said. "Clarion played a large part of all of our lives and we love the direction the college is going."
The members are all Clarion alumnae and Alpha Pi chapter members. They include the following:
- Kelsi Wilcox Boyles ('07, B.S. secondary education, English)
- Becky Anderson ('92, Associate of Science, nursing)
- Nicole Mellett ('12, B.S. liberal studies)
- Judy Tenny (alumnae initiate, '15)
- Britany Okoniewski ('14, B.S. accounting)
- Megan Lee ('15, strategic communication)
- Marcie Maccarelli ('00, B.A. speech communication, minor theatre — acting)
- Mellett ('80, B.S. education — rehabilitative sciences)