The Presidential Commission on Disabilities, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, and the Clarion Borough Police are sponsoring the fall 2017 Crosswalk Safety Awareness Day Wednesday, Oct. 18.
Information will be disseminated on campus and on Main Street in Clarion to pedestrians and drivers regarding crosswalk safety.
PennDOT has released tips for crosswalk safety.
- Always cross at marked crosswalks. You forfeit your rights as a pedestrian if you cross elsewhere.
- Obey any pedestrian signals and look left-right-left to make sure the road is clear in both directions before crossing.
- If a vehicle approaches, make eye contact with the driver to be sure s/he sees you before you cross.
- Do not text and walk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and at intersections.
- Be prepared to stop at all marked crosswalks. Stay alert and reduce speed in areas with crosswalks.
- Be alert for bicyclists and skateboarders whose approaches to the crosswalk may be much swifter than those of pedestrians.
- Come to a complete stop if pedestrians are crossing or preparing to cross.
- Do not text and drive.