SeniorLink Computer Classes
SeniorLink is designed for students age 50 and older to gain hands-on training in several computer applications.
SeniorLink Internet User Boot Camp
SeniorLink Computer Classes are designed for the new computer user. All classes are held in the Venango campus 118 Frame Hall computer lab . Upon completion of any FIVE classes completed, you will receive a special Certificate of Completion. Register and pay for ALL 8 classes, receive a $40 discount.
Note: Courses may also be taken individually at $30 per class.
*Class dates for fall 2018 coming soon!
Are you new to using a Computer? Not sure what Cloud, Windows, ISP or App means? In Computer Basics, we cover the following topics:
· What is a Computer? Understanding the Different Types of Computers
· Understanding Operating Systems
· Understanding Computer Terminology
· Basic Parts of a Computer (Inside and Out)
· Peripherals: Printers, Scanners, External Back-Ups and more...
· Understanding the term Cloud Computing
· How to Connect, Disconnect, and Reconnect your Computer (Getting Familiar with all of those Cables and where they go)
· How to Properly Turn On your Computer
· How to Safely Shut Down your Computer
· And more....
In this course, you will get familiar with terminology and the various types of computer technology in the industry today.
Windows 10 (Working in your Operating System):
If you're struggling with the Windows 10 operating system, this class is for you. In this class, we will cover the following topics:
· Become familiar with Start Menu Features
· Learn how to Launch Apps
· Keyboard Shortcuts (Basic Commands, Settings Shortcuts, Desktop Shortcuts)
· Managing your Desktop
· Settings and Personalization
· File Explorer
· Action Center
· Cortana and more....
This will be a hands-on class.
Become Internet Savvy on browsing smartly, maintaining your safety while online. In Internet 101, you will learn the following topics:
· Types of Browsers: Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer
· Gain an understanding of what the Internet is?
· How the Internet is Used
· Browser Basics
· Search Engines Strategies (learning how to search)
· Surfing the Net
· Basic Tips when using the Internet
· Tips for Socializing Safely when Online
· Tips for Shopping Online
· Thoughts on Considering Social Media
· Internet Safety (Do's and Don'ts)
· And more....
This course will include lots of hands-on training.
Are you new to email? Perhaps you are wondering how to communicate and send emails to your friends and family? In Email 101 we will cover the following topics:
· Basics of How Email Works
· Signing up for an email account
· Customizing Your Look
· Adding a Signature
· Sending Email (Without attachments)
· Sending Emails (With attachments)
· Reading and Replying to Messages
· And so much more......
You will be required to sign up for a Gmail account if you don't have one. This course is hands-on.
Word Processing 101
Whether you want to write your memoirs, create a cookbook to pass your favorite recipes down to your children, or create simple flyers for your family reunion or volunteer efforts, word processing is useful for many personal purposes. This course is a basic overview of the available word-processing programs, including MS Word, Google Docs, and other open source WP programs, including the pros & cons of each. You will complete 2-3 completed Word-processing projects.
This class will have lots of hands-on training.
Facebook 101 for Seniors:
If you are thinking about joining Facebook or if you are new to Facebook, we will show you everything you need to get started.
· Facebook Terms
· How to create a Facebook account and Find Friends
· Explore the Facebook Homepage, Timeline, Newsfeed
· Facebook for mobile devices
· Managing notifications
· Deleting information from your timeline
· Organizing friends
· Hiding a friend on your newsfeed
· Recovering a hacked account
· Blocking a user
· And more....
This course will include lots of hands-on-training socializing with classmates and your instructor online.
Document and Photo Management 101:
Not sure the best approach for managing your files? Have you ever needed to edit a document or photo, but couldn't find it? In this course, we will cover the following topics:
· Best practice for naming files
· Learn how to manage and organize files
· Learn how to move documents or photos between external devices to your computer
· Use FREE software to Edit and Touchup your photos
· Use FREE software to create and edit basic documents
· File Storage Options (Options: internal, external and cloud solutions)
· Backing up Data and more....
Have you heard about all the great inspiration and information on Pinterest, and wonder how to use it? Whatever your interests, this fun social media platform has something for everyone. We will show you the basics and help you use it for inspiration, learning, or just for fun! We will cover the following topics:
· Creating an Account
· Creating Boards
· Searching topics
· Saving, moving and removing Pins
· Sharing Pins on other platforms
· Following the Boards of Others
This workshop is a lot of hands-on FUN and socializing with other participants.
Have a new device or trying to adjust a new operating system and feeling a little lost or overwhelmed? Want to try something new, or become better acquainted with the programs? One-on-one tutoring can make the difference. No matter what operating system you have we will show you the basics and help you do the things you want to do most, including:
· Windows 10
· Computer Basics
· Internet 101
· Email 101
· Facebook 101
· Document and Photo Management 101
· iPad or iPhone Basics
· Samsung Smartphone Basics (Android)
· Word Processing 101
· Spreadsheets 101
· And More!
If you are looking for something more complex, no problem – we can handle those requests too. The advantage of one-on-one training is that we focus directly on you and proceed at a speed you're comfortable with. Purchase just one-hour, or as many as you need.
Daytime or evening hours available.
Instructor: Holly L Gibbons
Price: $30.00/per hour
Tammy M. Dulaney
Coordinator, Continuing Education
Clarion University, Venango
1801 West First Street
215 Frame Hall
Oil City, PA 16301
814 676 6591, ext. 1273
814 676 1348 (fax)