Dr. Kevan Yenerall
DEGREES EARNED / CERTIFICATIONS / PROFESSIONAL TRAINING
- Ph.D., Political Science, Miami University (2000)
- M.A., Political Science, Miami University (1996)
- B.A., Magna Cum Laude, Political Science and English, Duquesne University (1995)
PRIMARY COURSES TAUGHT
- PS 211: American Government
- PS 357: The American Presidency
- PS 302: Politics and Film
- PS 355: Media, Elections and Party Politics
- PS 351: State and Local Government
- PS 375: Public Policy and Administration
- PS 350: The National Political Convention Experience
- COOP 403/303: Political Science Internships
- The American presidency; politics, film and popular culture; parties,elections and the media.
MOST RECENT PUBLICATIONS / PRESENTATIONS
- Seeing the Bigger Picture: American and International Politics in Film and Popular Culture, second edition (Peter Lang, 2012). With Mark Sachleben.
- "Absurdity and Amateur Hour in the American Political Forest: A Midsummer Night's Dream and the Nightmare of Polarization." Bruce E. Altschuler and Michael A. Genovese, eds.,Shakespeare and Politics: What a Sixteenth Century Playwright Can Tell Us About Twenty First Century Politics(Paradigm, 2014).
- "The Clarion Call, the Muted Trumpet, the Lasting Impact: Bill Clinton and Gay Rights." Mark White, ed., The Presidency of Bill Clinton: The Legacy of a New Domestic and Foreign Policy (London: I.B. Tauris, 2012).
- "Executing the Rhetorical Presidency: William Jefferson Clinton, George W. Bush, and the Contemporary Face of Presidential Power." Executing the Constitution, Christopher S. Kelley, ed. (Albany, NY: The State University of New York Press, 2006).
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Best Paper Nomination, the New England Political Science Association, 2010.
- State Senator Allen Kukovich (D-PA) "Ripple of Hope" Award, 2003.
- Book of the Year Nomination, The National Theatre Library Association, for Seeing the Bigger Picture: Understanding Politics Through Film and Television, with Mark Sachleben, 2003.
- American Political Science Association Research Travel Grant, 1997.
- Finalist, Harry S Truman Public Service Scholarship, 1994.
CURRENT PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
- Northeastern Political Science Association (NPSA)
- Western Political Science Association (WPSA)
- New England Political Science Association (NEPSA)
- American Film Institute (AFI)
- Kevan M. Yenerall, Ph.D., is the coauthor of Seeing the Bigger Picture: American and International Politics in Film and Popular Culture, second edition (Peter Lang, 2012), and has published book chapters, articles, and essays in edited volumes and journals. He serves as chair of the Popular Culture and Politics Section of the Northeastern Political Science Association, and as a faculty liaison with The Washington Center for Internships and Academic Seminars.
- Dr. Yenerall has provided political and policy analysis for national and international media outlets, and has consulted on research in politics and film in Europe, Asia and North America. He remains actively engaged in integrating experiential learning and civic engagement, developing courses and opportunities for student participation in the Democratic and Republican National Conventions.