Dr. Renae R. Applegate
DEGREES EARNED / CERTIFICATIONS / PROFESSIONAL TRAINING
- Ph.D. | English | Indiana University of PA
- M.A. | Women's Studies | SUNY Albany
- M.A. | English | Slippery Rock University of PA
- B.A. | Writing | Geneva College
PRIMARY COURSES TAUGHT
- English 110
- English 111
- English 130
- English 225
- English 226
- English 339
- English 365
American Literature | Southern Literature |Appalachian Literature | Women's Literature | Feminist Theory | Composition | Writing Center Pedagogy
MOST RECENT PUBLICATIONS / PRESENTATIONS
- "Giving Voice: Storytelling in Diane Gilliam Fisher's Kettle Bottom." Pennsylvania English (2013)
- "The Place Setting: Timeless Tastes of the Mountain South, from Bright Hope to Frog Level, Thirds." A Book Review. West Virginia History (Spring 2011): 89-91.
- "On Being Exposed: Body as Witness in Gail Godwin's The Perfectionists." North Carolina Literary Review 19 (2010): 194-204.
- "Becoming Grotesque: Female Bodies in Three Short Stories by Lee Smith." Florida English 7 (2009): 16-27.
- "But to be released is to tell, to unburden it": Storytelling in Eudora Welty's The Optimist's Daughter." Mississippi Quarterly. 59.1-2 (2005): 95-107.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Clarion University of Pennsylvania | University-Wide Grant: Summer Stipend (2013-2014): $2,000
- Clarion University of Pennsylvania | University-Wide Grant: Individual Research (2013-2014): $1,000
- Clarion University of Pennsylvania | High-Impact Practices Grant (2013-2014): $15,100
- Appalachian Studies Association | Appalachian Studies Association Scholarship (2013): $125
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania | Doctoral Fellowship $4000
CURRENT PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
- International Writing Centers Association
- NEMLA, SAMLA, MLA
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Society for the Study of Southern Literature
- Sigma Tau Delta
- Appalachian Studies Association
Please indent numbered lists and use bullets where applicable.