Dr. Leah Chambers
DEGREES EARNED / CERTIFICATIONS / PROFESSIONAL TRAINING
- Certification in Secondary Education, English, 2016, Clarion University of PA
- Ph.D. in English, Composition, 2011, Indiana University of PA
- M.A. in English, Written Communication, 2006, Eastern Michigan University
- B.A. in English, Writing, 2004, Adrian College, Adrian, MI
PRIMARY COURSES TAUGHT
- English 110: Writing I
- English 111: College Writing
- First-Year Writing: assessment and placement
- Student retention
- Community literacy and service-learning
MOST RECENT PUBLICATIONS / PRESENTATIONS
- Improving student grades and retention with directed self-placement (2015, February). Panel presented at the 34th Annual Conference on the First-Year Experience, Dallas, TX
- Finding their place: Valuing diversity and increasing retention with an innovative directed self-placement program (2014, November). Panel presented at the 2014 PASSHE Summit, Millersville University, Lancaster, PA
- Implementing campus and community high-impact educational practices (2013, October). Panel presented at the Fall Conference of the Pennsylvania Association of Councils of Trustees, Clarion, PA.
- The Community Learning Workshop: Developing a service learning program that meets community needs and engages students (2013, October). Academic Innovation Conference, Shippensburg, PA.
- Make way for transfer: Supporting the transfer of writing skills by examining students' dispositions in the first-year writing classroom (2013, June). Panel presented at the Critical Transitions Conference, Elon, NC.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- University-wide Faculty Development Grant, Clarion University (2015)
- University Faculty Neighborhood Star Award, Clarion University (2014)
- Outstanding Faculty for Social Equity, Clarion University (2014)
- University-wide Faculty Development Grant, Clarion University (2013)
- High-Impact Innovation Grant, Clarion University (2012)
- Frederick Douglass Teaching Scholar, Slippery Rock University (2008)
CURRENT PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
- National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE)
- The National Writing Project (NWP)
Click here for Dr. Leah Chambers curriculum vitae.