Dr. Lisa T. Briggs
DEGREES EARNED / CERTIFICATIONS / PROFESSIONAL TRAINING
- Certified: K9 Forensic Evidence Recovery
- Certified: K9 Human Recovery
- Certified: From Darkness to Light
- Certified: Peace Education
PRIMARY COURSES TAUGHT
- Research Methods in Criminology and Criminal Justice
- Criminological Theory
- Crime, Justice, and the Movies
- Controversies in Criminal Justice
- Search and Recovery: Human Decomposition, Forensic Evidence
- Teaching and Learning of Criminology and Criminal Justice
- Myths and Media
MOST RECENT PUBLICATIONS / PRESENTATIONS
- Briggs, Lisa. (2015). Crime, Justice, and the Movies. Routledge Publishing. New York, NY. forthcoming.
- Lanier, Mark M. and Lisa T. Briggs (2013). Research Methods in Criminal Justice and Criminology: A Mixed Methods Approach. Oxford University Press. New York, NY.
- Mason, Karen & Briggs, Lisa. (2011). Myths and moral panics: An active learning approach to controversial topics. Transformative Dialogues: Teaching & Learning Journal, 5(1) p 1-14.
- Briggs, Lisa & Briggs, Lewis. (2010). Assessing physical fitness among middle school children in Western North Carolina: Where we're at, and where we could be headed. The North Carolina Journal of the NCAAHPERD: North Carolina Alliance for Athletics, Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance. 45(1).
- Briggs, Lisa; Brown, Stephen; Gardner, Robert & Davidson, Robert. (2009). D.RA.MA: An extended conceptualization of student anxiety in criminal justice research methods courses. Journal of Criminal Justice Education. 20(3).
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Recipient of the "Last Lecture Award." Western Carolina University. 2014
- Recipient of the "Board of Governors Excellence in Teaching Award." University of North Carolina System. 2012
- Recipient of the Board of Governors Innovative Teaching Award. College of Health and Human Sciences, 2011. Western Carolina University.
- Recipient of "Celebration of Excellence" Alpha Kappa Alpha for Valuable Contributions to the Lives of Women of Western Carolina University, 2012.
- Recipient of the Chancellor's Meritorious Award for Engaged Teaching, Western Carolina University 2008-2009.
- Recipient of theCollege Faculty Student Engagement Award: College of Health and Human Services, 2009 Western Carolina University.
- Recipient of the College Faculty Service Award: College of Health and Human Services, 2008 (M
CURRENT PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
- North Carolina Search and Rescue K9 Team
- North Carolina Academy of Criminal Justice, President-Elect
- Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences