Dr. Rich Lane
DEGREES EARNED / CERTIFICATIONS / PROFESSIONAL TRAINING
- PhD English/Rhetoric and Composition, 1995, Miami University
- MA Literature, 1989, American University
- BA Literature and Secondary Education, 1983, American University
PRIMARY COURSES TAUGHT
- First-Year Writing
- Composition: Theories and Practice
- Applied Literacy Studies
- Argument and Persuasion
- Literacy and Service Learning
- Rhetoric and Composition
- English Education
MOST RECENT PUBLICATIONS / PRESENTATIONS
- "Opening the Gates: How a Directed Self-Placement Program for First-Year Writing Helped to Improve Student Retention." John Gardner Institute's Annual Gateway Course Experience Conference, Atlanta, April 2016.
- "We Didn't Write a Book, We Created a Place: Navigating the Challenges of Developing a Lasting Community-University Partnership with The Community Learning Workshop," Conference on Community Writing, Boulder, CO, October 2015.
- "Improving Student Grades and Retention with Directed Self-Placement." Panel presented at the 34th Annual Conference on the First-Year Experience, Dallas, TX, February 2015.
- "Finding Their Place: Valuing Diversity and Increasing Retention with an Innovative Directed Self Placement Program." Panel presented at the 2014 PASSHE Summit, Millersville University, Lancaster, PA, November 2014.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Faculty Professional Developmental Council Grant, $9, 0000, PASSHE, May 2015.
- University-wide Faculty Development Grant, $2,500.00. Clarion University, 2015.
- University Faculty Neighborhood Star Award. Clarion University. 537 Clarion Community Learning Workshop, March 2015.
- Sprout Organization – Spark Grant 2013 $8,000 - Pittsburgh's Sprout Fund supports innovative projects in the Greater Pittsburgh region that help children develop hands-on skills and digital literacies
- Children's Scholarship Fund 2013- Present $3,000 - The mission of The Children's Scholarship Fund of Pennsylvania is to ensure a quality education is available to all children in Pennsylvania.
- Buncher Fund 2013 – Present $2,000 (2 years) - • The Buncher Family Foundation is a private family foundation that supports many causes, including the arts, children, youth development and education.
- Clarion University, High-Impact Practices Grant 2012, $37,000, Clarion University 2013.
CURRENT PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
- I am also the Co-Director of the Center for First Year Experience and the Faculty Athletic Representative to the NCAA