Dr. Sharon Montgomery
DEGREES EARNED / CERTIFICATIONS / PROFESSIONAL TRAINING
- 1989 Ph. D., astronomy, Case Western Reserve University
- Thesis Title: Carbon, Nitrogen and Oxygen Abundances of G and K Giants
PRIMARY COURSES TAUGHT
- Astrophysics I & II
- Physical Science
- Modern Physics
- Detection of comets in other star systems
- Planetary formation
MOST RECENT PUBLICATIONS / PRESENTATIONS
- "Circumstellar Gas-Disk Variability Around A-Type Stars: The Detection of Exocomets?" 2013, Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific, 125, 759 with B. Welsh.
- "Detection of variable gaseous absorption features in the debris disks around young A-type," 2012, Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific, 124, 1042-1056 with B. Welsh.
- "Now you see it, now you don't," 2014, Bulletin of the American Astronomical Society, with B. Timbs*, R. Lallement, and B. Welsh.
- "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery: is 49 Ceti the next Beta Pictoris? 2014, Bulletin of the American Astronomical Society, with D. Alu* and B.Y. Welsh.
- * undergraduate physics students
CURRENT PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
- American Astronomical Society
- Astronomical Society of the Pacific
- Planetary Society
- PhysTEC: Physics Teacher Education Coalition
- Frequent observer at Texas' McDonald Observatory
- Recent observer at the South African Astronomical Observatory.
- Has also been a visiting astronomer at Kitt Peak National Observatory, Green Bank Radio Observatory, and UC Berkeley