Dr. Suzanne Boyden
DEGREES EARNED / CERTIFICATIONS / PROFESSIONAL TRAINING
- PhD. Ecology, 2005, Colorado State University
- B.A. Environmental and Evolutionary Biology, 1996, Dartmouth College
PRIMARY COURSES TAUGHT
- Principles of Ecology
- Forest Ecology
- Community and Ecosystem Ecology
- Ecological Applications
- Quantitative Methods in Environmental Biology
- Freshman Biology Seminar
- Using spatially explicit tree-based models to understand the effects of neighbor interactions on tree growth, forest community structure, and successional dynamics.
- Understanding how plant competition changes along gradients of soil fertility and climate as a tool for studying climate change.
- Understanding the role of invasive species, deer, and disturbance in the regeneration dynamics of northern hardwood forests.
MOST RECENT PUBLICATIONS / PRESENTATIONS
- Boyden, S., and D. Binkley. 2016. The effect of soil fertility and scale on competition in ponderosa pine. European Journal of Forest Research. In Press.
- Palik, B., R.A. Montgomery, P.B. Reich, S. Boyden. 2014. Biomass growth response to spatial pattern of variable-retention harvesting in a northern Minnesota pine ecosystem. Ecological Applications. 24(8): 2078-2088.
- Montgomery, R.A., B. Palik, S. Boyden, P.B. Reich. 2013. New cohort growth and survival in variable retention harvests of a pine ecosystem in Minnesota, USA. Forest Ecology and Management. 310: 327-335.
- Boyden, S., R.A. Montgomery, P.B. Reich, B. Palik. 2012. Seeing the forest for the heterogeneous trees: stand-scale resource distributions emerge from tree-scale structure. Ecological Applications. Vol. 22 (5): 1578-1588
- Boyden, S., P.B. Reich, K.J. Puettmann, and T.R. Baker. 2009. Effects of density and ontogeny on size and growth of three competing tree species. Journal of Ecology 97:277-278.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Distinguished Ecologist Alumni Award, 2012, Graduate Degree Program in Ecology, Colorado State University
CURRENT PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
- Ecological Society of America
- Society of American Foresters
- Pennsylvania Academy of Sciences
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania University Biologists
- Clarion County Forest Stewardship Committee