Dr. Douglas M. Smith
DEGREES EARNED / CERTIFICATIONS / PROFESSIONAL TRAINING
- BS Biology – Saint Vincent College, Latrobe, PA
- MS Biology- Shippensburg University, Shippensburg, PA
- PHD Molecular and Cell Biology, The Pennsylvania State University, State College, PA
PRIMARY COURSES TAUGHT
- BIOL 155 Principles of Biology
- BIOL 224 Human Biology
- BIOL406 Cell Culture and Tissue Engineering
- BIOL407 Advances in Cellular Manipulation
- BIOL444 Immunology
- BIOL446 Pathogenic Microbiology
- BIOL 450 Cell Physiology
- Stem Cell Therapies, Tissue Engineering, and Personalized Medicine
- Development of Antimicrobial Drugs and Diagnostic Tests (patents in development)
- Anti Bacterial Biofilm Translational Research in Optometry, Dentistry, Medicine (patents in development)
MOST RECENT PUBLICATIONS / PRESENTATIONS
- Rutkowski, J.L., Thomas,, J.M., Bering, C.L., Speicher, J.L., Radio, N.M., Smith, D.M., and D.A. Johnson. 2008. Analysis of an inexpensive and efficient method for obtaining platelet-rich plasma (PRP) in clinical settings. J Oral Implantology; 34(1) 25-33.
- J.L. Rutkowski, D.A. Johnson, and D.M. Smith. 2006. Clinical Concerns of Alendronate Use. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 65(2):363-4.
- X. Fan, B. Krahling, D.M. Smith, P. Williamson, and R.A. Schlegel. 2004. Macrophage surface expression of annexins I and II in the phagocytosis of apoptotic lymphocytes. Molecular Biology of the Cell 6:2863-72.
- S.J. Brown, H.M. Ochs, A.M. Sepan, K.E. Kalie, and D.M. Smith. 2002. Annexin 1 Facilitates the Phagocytic Clearance of Gram-negative Bacteria and Apoptotic Neutrophils by Macrophages. Molecular Biology of the Cell 13(s):399a.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- 2016 Alumni Association Distinguished Faculty Award, Clarion University
- 2004 Who's Who Among America's Teachers
- 2001 Distinguished Lecturer Award, College of Arts and Sciences, Clarion University
- 2001 Faculty Member of the Year, Student Athlete Advisory Committee, Clarion University
- 1999 U.S. Professor of the Year-Clarion University of PA Nominee
CURRENT PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania University Biologists (CPUB)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)