Department of Nursing
deborah j. kelly, DNP, RN, CHPCA
Chair and Nurse Administrator
department of nursing
220 Montgomery Hall
Oil City, PA 16301
+1 814 676 6591, Ext. 1258
Choose Your Program:
Associate of Science in Nursing (Venango campus)
RN-Bachelor of Science in Nursing (Online)
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (Clarion campus)
Master of Science in Nursing (Online)
Doctor of Nursing Practice (Online)
3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850
Atlanta, Georgia 30326
Phone: (404) 975-5000
Deadline to apply - July 1, 2017 for the Fall 2017 semester
218 Montgomery Hall
+1 814 676 6591, ext. 1252
- Human Flourishing,
- Nursing Judgment,
- Professional Identity,
- and a Spirit of Inquiry.
2016 NLN Test Information (ASN Students only)
all testing is held in Montgomery hall, room 311 from 9:00 am - 12:00 pm, on the Venango
October 28, 2016
November 18, 2016
December 9, 2016
January 13, 2017
February 10, 2017
March 10, 2017
April 14, 2017
May 12, 2017
Are you a graduate of the Associate Degree in Nursing program at Community College of Beaver County (CCBC)?
Through a new agreement with Clarion University, Community College of Beaver County graduates who hold an Associate Degree in Nursing and other nurses in or near CCBC, who already hold a diploma or associate degree, can earn credits from CCBC that apply towards a bachelor's degree from Clarion University.
This partnership agreement provides an opportunity for students to take all of the general education courses and a nursing elective required for the BSN degree at CCBC. This is a very cost-effective solution for nurses in the region. These courses can be taken face-to-face or online. The students will then take the last 30 credits through Clarion University. Clarion provides all of their RN-BSN courses online so students would not need to leave Beaver County to complete the degree. Additionally, Clarion tuition tends to be among the lowest in the region for bachelor of nursing level courses, particularly as an online option.
"Fall 2014 was my first experience with online classes, Clarion, and the RN-BSN program. I was very anxious and uncertain at the beginning of the program but can honestly say I now feel empowered. I have learned so much and can actively participate in conversations about the costs of healthcare, the PPACA, and current practices that I never would have believed possible when this semester started. I truly believe the instructors want us, as a class, to succeed. I am now certain that I made the right decision in choosing this program and Clarion."
- Laura Ravotti (current student)
Venango campus (RN-BSN)
218 Montgomery Hall
+1 814 676 6591, ext. 1251
The Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree builds upon the knowledge of registered
nurses and continues their education completely online. The program aims to provide educational experiences designed to promote scientific
inquiry, creative thinking, critical judgment and personal development. This establishes
the basis for a variety of BSN learning activities that focus on professional nursing
- New 7 1/2 week class format
- Students with 90 credits can complete in 3 semesters
- Credit given for prior leaning
- Employers love our grads!
Gain credit for what you already know
College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
- Review Clarion University's policy and procedure for Credit for Prior Learning.
- Obtain from the School of Nursing a course syllabus for each course you are seeking credit for life experience.
- Complete the Credit for Prior Learning Form (CLEF).
- Attach to the form a detailed narrative documenting prior learning related to specific course work. Each objective of the course is to be addressed in the narrative.
- Submit a portfolio of additional documentation which supports the prior learning. Documentation may include but is not limited to a resume, certificates, grant proposals, project descriptions, brochures, pamphlets, and conference agendas.
- Submit a hard copy of all of the above information to the Department of Nursing Chair. Packets may be mailed to the office, or hand delivered to either Venango campus or the Pittsburgh site. Prior Learning Credit will not be considered until the packet is complete.
- Faculty and the Department Chair will review the packet and make a recommendation within 4 weeks of receiving the packet.
Clarion campus (BSN4Y)
132 Ralston Hall
+1 814 393 1851
The program utilizes a highly successful clinical immersion model in which several instructional methods are used to support lectures and discussions. Simulation laboratories, volunteer experiences in health care agencies, and creative, hands-on experiences such as live standardized patient labs and research studies are in place throughout the freshman through junior years as components of clinical learning to support senior-level clinical preparation.
The Clarion and Edinboro universities Master of Science in Nursing degree program offers a concentration in Family Nurse Practitioner. The didactic coursework is online; focused clinical and internship experiences are offered in local health care and educational agencies. Students must live within a two-hour drive of Edinboro University or Clarion University's Clarion, Venango or Pittsburgh campuses.
Independent college search and rankings website College Choice has published its 2016 Rankings of Best Online Master's in Nursing Programs. Clarion University of Pennsylvania/Edinboro University of Pennsylvania ranked #17 overall. The 2016 Rankings of Best Online Master's Nursing are based on the number of factors, including academic reputation, acceptance rate, cost of tuition, and average graduate earnings. Data was collected directly from school websites and from other publicly available sources, including U.S. News & World Report, the National Center for Education Statistics, and Payscale.com.
Post-Master's Certificate Programs
For individuals already holding a master's degree in nursing, options include a post-master's certificate as a Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP), or a second master's degree in the FNP concentration.
Debbie Ciesielka, DEd, ANP-BC
Program Coordinator, Clarion & Edinboro Universities MSN Program
+1 814 393 1851
218 Montgomery Hall
+1 814 676 6591, ext. 1252
- Accessibility. With the exception of clinical experiences, internships and select skill labs, course work is delivered in an online format that is available to students 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Affordability. Tuition is competitive as part of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education.
- Responsiveness. Program graduates meet regional health care needs by providing primary care in rural and medically underserved communities.
- Quality. The U.S. News & World Report Best Online Education Program Rankings, 2016 edition, ranked the Clarion and Edinboro Universities Master of Science in Nursing Program among top programs for the third year in a row.
- Success. Over the past three years students averaged a 97% first-time pass rate on FNP certifying exams. In addition, graduates are in high demand by employers and many have continued their educations at the doctoral level.
Note: Students who are not enrolled in the program but take individual classes that are included in the curriculum are subject to course surcharges.
*Due to state authorization requirements, we are currently only able to accept students from Pennsylvania, New York and Ohio, or those who otherwise hold an RN license in Pennsylvania and are willing to complete all clinical practice hours within a 2-hours driving time of the Edinboro/Erie area and Clarion University sites in Clarion, Oil City, and Pittsburgh.
*27 credits post-masters to DNP completion
Online nursing programs offered by Edinboro University in consortium with Clarion University ranked 4th in OnlineU.org's list of the 25 most affordable schools offering online nursing degrees.
Laurie Cracolici Field Internship Coordinator/DNP Assistant
EDINBORO UNIVERSITY OF PA
Wiley Arts & Science Center, Suite 111
Edinboro, PA 16444
+1 814 732 1343/Fax : +1 814 732 2534
Dr. Colleen R. Bessetti-Barrett, DNP, CRNP, FNP-BC | Assistant Professor
Jeremy Brown Human Services Building
215 Scotland Road Office #122
Edinboro, PA 16444
+1 814 732 1643/Fax: +1 814 732 2536
The Clarion and Edinboro Universities' DNP Program is a 27-credit program that offers specialty electives in advanced clinical practice and clinical nursing education. Courses can be taken part-time over 5 semesters in an online format. Students will be admitted in cohorts of 27 and begin courses in May. The program is designed to be flexible, affordable and professionally rewarding. The online, part-time structure accommodates employment as an advanced practice nurse while pursuing the DNP, thus easing the financial burden.
Master's prepared advanced practice registered nurses (APRN) including Certified Nurse Practitioners, Clinical Nurse Specialists, Certified Nurse Midwives, and Certified Nurse Anesthetists, are eligible for the DNP program provided they meet the following requirements:
- Completed online application form
- Non-refundable application fee ($40 payable at the time of online application submission)
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) or other Master's degree from an accredited program with a GPA of 3.25 or higher (Note: Applicants with a Master's degree other than nursing may require additional coursework prior to enrollment, as determined by a review of official transcripts)
- A graduate course in research with a grade of "B" or higher or successful completion of graduate thesis (Note: Completion of a graduate level capstone project will be considered upon review of the project)
- Two recommendation forms
- Current unencumbered licenses as a Registered Nurse and Advanced Practice Nurse in the state of Pennsylvania
- National certification as an Advanced Practice Nurse is preferred
- Verification of a minimum of 500 supervised clinical hours from the applicant's graduate program
- A type-written 1-2 page personal statement describing your learning goals
Click here to apply. Please note all application materials need submitted to Clarion University Department of Nursing.
Application Deadline: Accepting applications until all seats are full. Classes begin May 2016.
*Due to state authorization requirements, we are currently only able to accept students from Pennsylvania and Colorado. Students in Colorado must be employed in advanced practice and licensed and covered under the employer's workman's compensation.
In 1922 six nurses founded Sigma Theta Tau at the Indiana University Training School for Nurses, now the Indiana University School of Nursing, in Indianapolis, Ind, U.S.A. The founders chose the name from the Greek words Storgé, Tharsos and Timé meaning "love," "courage," and "honor." The honor society became incorporated in 1985 as Sigma Theta Tau International, Inc., a not-for-profit organization with a 501(c)(3) tax status in the United States.
The mission of the Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International is to support the learning, knowledge, and professional development of nurses committed to making a difference in health worldwide.
The vision of the Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International is to create a global community of nurses who lead in using knowledge, scholarship, service and learning to improve the health of the world's people.
Mu Xi Officers
Officer, chair, and committee member positions are immediately available to anyone who is interested. Please contact one of the officers listed above for more information.