Associate of science in nursing Questions?
Clarion University - Venango
814 676 6591, ext. 1229 OR 814-393-1229
The ASN program is designed to prepare technical nurses to provide client-centered care. You will be trained to work within structured settings and with other members of the health care team.
- Human flourishing
- Nursing judgment
- Professional identity
- A spirit of inquiry
Graduates of the program are eligible to take the National Council Licensure Exam for RNs (NCLEX-RN®). Successful completion of the exam is required for entrance into nursing practice. Students in the program enjoy the support of their peers as they take many of the same courses together. The curriculum in the two-year program offered at Clarion University - Venango and at the Somerset County Education Center is high paced with hands-on clinical patient care experiences in the first semester.
You graduate in two years and enter the workforce as an RN upon successful completion of the NCLEX exam. As a working RN, your employer may offer financial assistance for earning higher nursing degrees. You can build on the ASN degree by earning the RN-BSN as the next step on your educational ladder. Students seamlessly transition into the online RN-BSN program and all of the ASN credits transfer directly into the program. In the RN-BSN program students can complete classes around work and family obligations while earning a living.
2018-2019 NLN TEST INFORMATION
The NLN endorses and recommends the following study guides and practice tests
available through the NLN testing portal:
- PAX Prep Verbal Exam
- PAX Prep Science Exam
- PAX Prep Math Exam
Each practice exam is $15.00, and provides 60 days access to:
- PAX study strategies
- Content-specific review guide
- Practice questions
- PAX Prep Bonus Verbal
- ExamPax Prep Bonus Science
- ExamPAX Prep Bonus Math Exam
Each bonus practice exam is $10, and provides 30 days access to a timed practice test
These resources can be accessed by logging into your NLN account through the NLN Exam Portal and selecting "Store" from the blue tabs at the top of the screen.
All testing is held in Montgomery Hall, Room 311 from 9:00am - 12:00pm, on the Venango campus.
Upcoming test Dates:
- January 4, 2019
- February 1, 2019
- March 1, 2019
- April 5, 2019
- May 3, 2019
Clarion University – Somerset’s two-year, on-campus Associate of Science in Nursing program is set to begin Fall 2019. The application is now available for this program and location, and you’re invited to apply! Space is limited to 30 students and admissions will be made on a rolling basis through May 15, 2019, or until the fall class is filled. The program is located at the Somerset County Education Center, Founders Hall at 6022 Glade Pike, Somerset, PA 15501.
Clarion University offers the core nursing classes and general education, while Penn Highlands Community College (also located in the Somerset County Education Center) offers additional general education and support courses. Somerset Hospital serves as the primary clinical training site and offers diverse clinical/hospital experiences arranged to cover a variety of nursing specialties including emergency room, operating room, home health and other nursing specialties such as medical-surgical and pediatrics.
Space is limited to 30 students and admissions will be made on a rolling basis through May 15, 2019, or until the fall class is filled.
- 2.75+ Cumulative GPA
- Grades of C or better in Biology, Chemistry, and Algebra Pre-Requisites
- Courses are accepted if they are within 5 years of high school or 10 years of college.
- 950+ SAT or 18+ ACT
- Score required only for students who have not been out of high school more than three years.
- 110+ Score on National League for Nursing (NLN) Pre-Entrance Exam
- Scores of 120+ are preferred; scores of 105-109 may be considered.
- Students who meet the admission criteria above with the addition of having an A in biology and a cumulative GPA of 3.8+ may qualify for an NLN Exam requirement waiver. Waivers are considered on a case-by-case basis after the applicant’s undergraduate application and all transcripts are received. Email email@example.com if you meet this criteria to initiate a review.
- Policy for Admission and Additional Application Information
Complete by May 15 for Consideration.
- Apply at www.clarion.edu/apply.
- Select the following values when prompted:
- What level are you applying for? Select Undergraduate.
- Where do you plan to take classes? Select Somerset Campus Nursing ASN.
- What would you like to major in? The only option is Nursing (ASN).
- What type of student are you? Select Freshman or Transfer, whichever applies to you.
- The only term option is Fall 2019.
- Select the following values when prompted:
- Send official high school transcripts or GED Scores to the Admissions Office, 840 Wood St., Clarion, PA 16214.
- Send official transcripts from all post-secondary schools, colleges or universities you previously attended to the Admissions Office.
- Send SAT or ACT score (if you have not been out of high school for more than 3 years) to the Admissions Office.
- Register for and complete the National League for Nursing (NLN) Pre-Entrance Exam.
- Exams will be offered later this spring. Applicants will automatically be notified via email when exams are open for registration. If you are not yet an applicant, but want to be notified, please email Casey McVay in Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- When: Exams will be offered later this spring. Check back for new information soon.
- How to register: Create and account and register for an exam at www.nlnonlinetesting.org. Testers must bring NLN login information, a calculator of any kind, and two forms
- Refer to the Student Guide to the NLN Testing Portal athttps://ondemand.questionmark.com/400030/ext/nlntesting/node/383 for assistance registering.
- Any registration issues should be directed to NLN at 800-732-8656 or 618-453-3036.
- Re-testing: Applicants are eligible to re-test after a 3-month waiting period.
- How to study: NLN endorses their own practice exams resources. These resources can be accessed
by logging into your account on the NLN Exam Portal and selecting “Store” from the
blue tabs at the top of the screen. The PAX prep materials are toward the bottom of
the page. You can filter results as well.
- 3 pre-exams ($15 each): PAX Prep Verbal Exam, PAX Prep Science Exam, PAX Prep Math
- Pre-exams provide 60 days access to PAX study strategies, content-specific review guide, and practice questions.
- 3 bonus exams ($10 each): PAX Prep Bonus Verbal Exam, PAX Prep Bonus Science Exam, PAX Prep Bonus Math Exam; and you are provided 30 days of access to the timed practice test.
- 3 pre-exams ($15 each): PAX Prep Verbal Exam, PAX Prep Science Exam, PAX Prep Math Exam
The Associate of Science in Nursing and both Bachelor of Science in Nursing program options (RN-BSN and traditional 4 year BSN) are accredited by:
3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850
Atlanta, Georgia 30326
Phone: (404) 975-5000
Fax: (404) 975-5020
For detailed information about the accreditation status of these programs, please visit the ACEN accredited program website.