- Identify the need and learning objectives for your lecture capture/screen recording.
- After reviewing the available tools, contact the LTC to discuss which will best meet your objectives.
- Identify equipment needs (microphone, camera, etc. - note: most laptops have a built-in mic and camera)
- The LTC has a some equipment that can be borrowed for short-term (iTep)
- Record your screen capture or video.
- Save and upload to Clarion's Mediasite* server (Upload instructions).
- Alternatively, upload short videos to a D2L course using the Content tool (Adding Content).
* Mediasite requires a course folder. Contact the Learning Technology Center at x1848 for more information.
Capture ToolsThe screen and lecture-capture tools below are fully-supported by the Learning Technology Center (LTC) in the Center for Computing Services. All of these tools feature Pause/Stop playback controls for the viewer. A few have some editing capabilities. In addition, the LTC has several devices available for loan that can be used for recording. To discuss which option will best fit your needs, and for an overview or introductory training, please call the LTC at x1848 or contact email@example.com.
• Mediasite – This classroom-based tool makes it possible for instructors to record their lectures while they deliver them live in-class. The lectures can viewed later by students as a review or study guide. All video and audio sources in the classroom (doc cam, computer, DVD) are recorded as well as the instructor camera. There are four rooms on campus for recording; all equipment is provided and a student tech is scheduled to run the equipment. To view your recordings, students must login to Mediasite. You must schedule recording time through firstname.lastname@example.org . Mediasite can also be used to upload and store videos created with another tool.
• Blackboard Collaborate Ultra Web Conferencing – Use this tool to record a lecture from your desktop or record your online virtual classroom/meeting for later playback. Collaborate Ultra is integrated within your D2L course already and allows for the most two-way interaction between instructor and student. Captures video and audio as well as chat, whiteboard, screen, and file-sharing making Collaborate Ultra a robust recording option from the privacy of office or home. Also ideal for guest presenters in an online course.
• Video Note - This tool is within D2L and is ideal for creating short welcome , introductory, or course overview videos. All that is required is a webcam and mic. Recording time is limited to a maximum of three minutes. Video Notes can be created via D2L's Insert stuff icon within the html editor and anywhere that file attachments are enabled.
• MS Office Mix - This free PowerPoint add-in allows you to narrate and annotate a PowerPoint presentation
along with your webcam (optional) or record your screen. Convert the recording to
mp4 and upload to D2L or Mediasite. This add-in is only available for Windows systems
with Office 2013 or higher. Please contact the help desk at x2640 with your CSID # to have Office Mix installed. In addition, you can download free on a personal computer using a Microsoft account. Office Mix step-by-step Tutorials | Help guide (PDF)
• QuickTime – This tool is a free recording solution for university Mac users. It comes installed on OS 10.6 and higher and can be used to record audio + screen capture. Using QuickTime's Save for Web feature, your recording is optimized for upload to your D2L course or Mediasite. How to use QuickTime
• Camtasia Studio – This robust software allows you to create, edit and share recordings. While Camtasia
Studio is not currently available through a campus license, it is available for faculty
use in the LTC's Clarion and Venango Offices along with a microphone and webcam. Recordings
can be uploaded to D2L or Mediasite.
Required equipment: You will need a microphone at a minimum for the desktop capture tools, while a webcam is optional. To use Mediasite, you must contact the Learning Technology Center at email@example.com or call x1848.
Training and tech support will be provided for all lecture capture options.