Federal and state aid agencies determine which families are eligible for grants based on the information provided in the FAFSA. There are four basic types of grants including:
- Federal Pell Grant
- Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant
- Federal Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant
- Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA) Grant
Federal Pell Grant
The basic need-based federal grant is the Pell Grant. In 2013-14, Pell grants will range from $565 to $5,645 (for a full-time student). Grants are based on the extent of financial need as determined by federal guidelines.
Federal SEO Grant
The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant is given if the student is determined to have the maximum financial need. For students to have the maximum financial need, an Expected Family Contribution would be $0. Clarion University awards this grant.
Federal TEACH Grant
A new federal grant provides up to $4,000 per year to students who:
- Will teach in a high need field (bilingual education, foreign language, mathematics, reading specialist, science and special education)
- Will teach in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families
- Are junior and senior undergraduate and graduate students
- Maintain a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.25.
Interested students should have a FAFSA on file. Recipients must teach for at least four academic years within eight calendar years of completing the program of study.
Financial need is not a requirement of this grant. Students who are interested in the TEACH Grant should print this form and return it to the Office of Financial Aid, 104 Egbert Hall.
Note: TEACH recipients who fail to complete the service obligation will have their grants converted to interest-bearing Federal Direct Unsubsidized loans. The loan rate will be 6.8 percent and will be charged from the day the grant was disbursed.
PHEAA State Grant
In 2013-14, the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency State Grant ranged from $500 to $3,712 depending on need. PHEAA notifies students (who have filed a FAFSA) directly of their eligibility for the grant. Students who are taking half or more of their credits online during any semester are not eligible for the grant.