Career Connections

Text Alert

Get Connected

Transfer Information

Registrar's Office - Transfer Information

Transferring Courses from Another Institution

Clarion University will accept transfer courses (except remedial/developmental) from regionally accredited two- and four-year institutions (e.g., Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, North Central Association of Colleges and Schools) that are a grade of "C" or better.  To ensure proper placement of transfer credits taken at another institution, students enrolled at Clarion University must request written permission from their college dean to take courses at another institution in order for these credits to transfer back to Clarion.  Credits are transferable, but grades and quality points are not.  Grades and quality points for courses taken elsewhere do not transfer and cannot be used as repeats for grades previously earned at Clarion.  A minimum of 30 of the last 45 credits required for graduation with a baccalaureate degree must be earned through Clarion University.  Effective with the Fall 2009 semester, students must also complete 50% of major credits through Clarion University.

Students should complete the transfer approval request form and follow the steps below.

  • Attach a copy of the course description(s) from the transferring institution.

  • Obtain signatures of approval from advisor, department chair and the college dean. Transfer credits that are applied toward a specific major must be approved by the appropriate college dean or director and the department chair of the academic area in which the degree is to be granted.  The college dean will submit the completed form to the Registrar's Office (122 Carrier).

  • Upon course completion, send an official transcript in a sealed envelope from the transferring institution directly to the Registrar's Office, 122 Carrier Hall, Clarion University, Clarion, PA, 16214.

Transfer Credit Appeal

Students who feel the need to appeal a course equivalency on the degree audit may do so by meeting with the dean of their college. Students who appeal an equivalency are asked to provide a course syllabus which provides more detailed information than catalog descriptions. The course is then re-evaluated by the appropriate academic department. 

Transfer Course Equivalencies 

How can you find out if your courses will transfer?  Check out the Transfer and Articulation Center on PA TRAC  to see a comprehensive list of courses and how they transfer to Clarion.  You can also view the same course equivalencies on the Transfer course Equivalency Guide.

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)

A maximum of 60 credits may be earned through the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP).  No more than 30 of the 60 credits may be earned after admission.  These examinations, administered by the College Entrance Examination Board, may be taken at the Venango Campus of Clarion University on third Fridays.  They are designed for adult learners and non-traditional students who have gained college-level knowledge through prior education or training.  The College-Level Examination Program includes five general examinations and approximately 36 subject examinations.  View the list of general and subject examinations, minimum acceptable scores, and credits available.

Military Credits

The university grants a maximum of four credits in HPE for active military service of six months or more with honorable discharge or continued reserve status.  Credit is normally given for HPE 111 (2 credits) and two HPE activity courses of one credit each.  To assure that the credit is granted, students should bring an honorable discharge document (DD214 or official letter from commanding officer stating active duty in years, months, days) to the Registrar's Office, 122 Carrier Hall.

Study Abroad

Study abroad programs offer students the opportunity to maintain enrollment at Clarion while attending an international university.  The Office of International Programs coordinates and administers study abroad and exchange programs.  Courses taken at another international university should be approved using the transfer approval request form before going abroad.





Have suggestions on improving our web page? Email us.

Registrar's Office, 122 Carrier Hall, Clarion, PA  16214
814-393-2229 (Phone)  814-393-2039 (Fax)