The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports the number of special education teachers is expected to grow by 17 percent through 2020. The bureau reports this growth is as fast as the average for all occupations. Growth is expected because of increasing enrollment and continued demand for special education services.
As part of their education, students conduct work in the field including:
- Freshman and sophomore experiences in public schools
- A pre-student teaching experience during senior year
- Student teaching experience
- Co-op experience with a reading specialist
- A graduate level student teaching experience in a reading specialist program
Students obtain this experience in schools all across Western Pennsylvania. Students are responsible to provide for their own transportation.
Note: The Pennsylvania Department of Education has standards for field work and teaching experiences.