Clarion University Listserv Information
All currently enrolled students are added to the S_ALL-L mailing list (Students - All) at the start of each new semester. This list allows students to receive informational messages regarding student life at Clarion University.
Students may leave this list at any time by sending a "SIGNOFF S_ALL-L" message to firstname.lastname@example.org. If one then decided to return to the list, send a "SUBSCRIBE S_ALL-L" command to email@example.com.
** Example: To 'signoff' this list, send a message with a blank subject to firstname.lastname@example.org as follows:
Subj: (Leave the subject blank)
SIGNOFF S_ALL-L <- This is the only line that should be in the body of your message, nothing else.
** Example: To 'subscribe' to this list, send mail with a blank subject to email@example.com as follows:
Subj: (Leave the subject blank)
SUBSCRIBE S_ALL-L <- This is the only line that should be in the body of your message, nothing else
The purpose of the ALL-L list is to disseminate information to university employees using a single e-mail address. Please limit the use of attachments with the list. Please also remember the following points that are noted in the Computer Network Use policy (http://www.clarion.edu/46245/):
* Messages sent via the ALL-L listserv should contain information relevant to the University community such as student support services, event announcements and cancellations
* The ALL-L list should not be used for the sale of personal property (re: the following notes from the policy)
A. General Policy: The use of computer systems, telecommunications facilities, networks or other electronic resources of the institution for the following purposes is deemed unacceptable:
- Non-University related political or charitable activities
- Commercial uses including (but not limited to) the promotion of "for profit" and/or privately owned businesses or sale of private property;
To send a message to the list, just send mail to ALL-L@LISTSERV.clarion.edu. When you send a message to the list, a copy is sent to every employee subscribed to the list. Messages may be sent to this list *only* by those who are currently subscribed to ALL-L.
All Clarion University faculty and staff are initially subscribed to the ALL-L mailing list. However, you do have the option to leave the list at any time. You may leave this list at any time by sending a "SIGNOFF ALL-L" message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
** Example 1: To 'signoff' this list, send a message with a blank subject to Listserv@listserv.clarion.edu as follows:
Note that this sample message has a blank subject and includes "SIGNOFF ALL-L" as the only text in the body of the message.
If you later decide to return to the list, send a "SUBSCRIBE ALL-L" command to email@example.com.
** Example 2: To 'subscribe' to this list, send mail with a blank subject to Listserv@listserv.clarion.edu as follows:
Note that this sample message has a blank subject and includes "SUBSCRIBE ALL-L" as the only text in the body of the message.
are subject to approval based upon their support of the mission and goals of Clarion University.
- must be requested by a Clarion faculty or staff member
- must support the Academic function of the university, a recognized university organization, or university related concerns.
- will be required to adhere to the guidelines set by the Acceptable Use of Technology Resources which is available for viewing at: http://www.clarion.edu/46245/
- To request a Clarion University Listserv, contact Cindy Lauer (x2346)
Replying to Listserv Messages
- When list owners establish their lists, they decide where replies go. If the list has been set up to carry discussion, then replies to messages will most likely go to everyone on the list. On the other hand, lists that are set up to serve as a mechanism of information distribution may be configured so that replies go to the person who sent the original message. Note that some email programs, such as Eudora, can be configured to override the setting for a list's reply function.
- For example, if the mailing list is set up to reply only to the sender, but you have your email program set up to "reply to all," your local setting overrides the list's setting and your reply goes to everyone on the mailing list as well as to the sender. Check where replies are set to go - look at the "Reply-to" field in the header of a message you received from the list. Whatever the situation on your list, you should exercise caution when replying to mail from it.
- If you want to reply to just one person on the mailing list, but it is set up to reply to the entire list, obtain the individual's email address. Learn to configure and use the "reply," "forward," and other responsive commands that are part of your email program. You will use these commands routinely when handling correspondence from a listserv.
Losing Access to E-mail for a While?
- If you will be leaving Clarion for vacation, break, sabbatical leave or for other reasons, you may wish to signoff mailing list subscriptions if you will be without email access.
General E-mail List Information
Throughout this document, it was assumed that you were interacting with a mailing list running on the List Server operated by CU. The CU Listserv is just one of many on the Internet. For more information about list services, try the following links: