- Independent Film experience: Saturday, September 19th at 7:00 P.M. - "Wendy and Lucy"
- Venango Honors Program Open Forum: Thursday, September 24th at 3:30 - 4:30 in Honors Lounge
- Venango Honors Program Open Forum: Thursday, October 8th at 4:00 - 5:00 in Honors Lounge
- PTK Satellite Seminar Series Lecture: Wednesday, October 14th at 5:00 P.M. in the Rhoades Auditorium Presenter: Ray Suarez, Author and Senior Correspondent for The NewsHour.
The former host of NPR's Talk of the Nation, journalist Ray Suarez joined PBS' The NewsHour as a Washington-based senior correspondent in 1999. A longstanding member of the Washington press corps, Suarez is well-known for his expertise on quintessentially American issues, including politics, demographics, race and religion. He has also released several critically-acclaimed books, including The Old Neighborhood: What We Lost in the Great Suburban Migration: 1966-1999 and his latest, The Holy Vote: The Politics of Faith in America. An observer of the changing nature of communities and the intersection of religion and politics, Suarez shares fascinating insight into the evolution of American life. Suarez holds a BA in African history from New York University and an MA in the social sciences from the University of Chicago. He has been awarded honorary doctorates by many colleges and universities, most recently by Muhlenberg College in Pennsylvania
- 2009 Independent Film experience
- Saturday, October 17th at 7:00 P.M. - "The Son of Rambow"
- Saturday, October 24th at 7:00 P.M. - "Revolutionary Road"
- Harvey Lecture: Thursday, October 22nd at 2:00 (students) and 7:00 (general public)
"Edwin L. Drake: A Re-introduction"
Dr. William R. Brice, professor emeritus of geology and planetary science at the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown, will be the speaker for this presentation.
- Field Trip Experience: "War of the Worlds", Saturday, October 31st . at 8:00 P.M. - Barrow-Civic Theater, Franklin, PA
- Venango Honors Program Open Forum: Thursday, November 5th at 4:00 - 5:00 in Honors Lounge
- PTK Satellite Seminar Series Lecture: Thursday, November 12th at 5:00 P.M. in the Rhoades Auditorium - Seminar 2: "Presenter: Jessica Jackley, Co-Founder of Kiva, the Revolutionary Micro-Lending website
Jessica Jackley is the co-founder of Kiva, the peer-to-peer micro loan website winning raves from Oprah Winfrey, Bill Clinton and countless world leaders. At Kiva.org, users can make loans directly to specific entrepreneurs in the developing world, who then use this money to grow a small business and lift themselves out of poverty. Loans start at just $25. To date, 300,000 users have loaned a staggering $67 million to over 40,000 people in the Third World. Jackley is the Lead Evangelist and spirit behind Kiva. She has worked in rural Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, amazon.com, World Vision and at the Stanford Center for Social Innovation, where she helped launch the inaugural Global Philanthropy Forum. She demonstrates how the Internet can facilitate meaningful, positive connections between lenders and entrepreneurs in the developing world and even help us all become microfinanciers. Jackley holds an MBA from the Stanford Graduate School of Business, has seen microfinance at work in more than 30 countries, and is considered one of the most articulate and forceful speakers on microfinance and social entrepreneurship in the world today.
- 2009 Independent Film experience: Saturday, November 14th at 7:00 P.M. - "My Brother is an Only Child"
- Field Trip Experience: "Wicked" Sunday, November 29th at 1:00 P.M. - at Playhouse Square, Cleveland, OH.
"So much happened before Dorothy dropped in. Long before that girl from Kansas arrives in Munchkinland, two girls meet in the land of Oz. One - born with emerald green skin - is smart, fiery and misunderstood. The other is beautiful, ambitious and very popular. How these two grow to become the Wicked Witch of the West and Glinda the Good Witch makes for the most spellbinding new musical in years.
When WICKED opened on Broadway, it worked its magic on critics and audiences alike. Winner of 20 major awards including a Grammy® and 3 Tony® Awards. Today, Wicked is "Broadway's biggest blockbuster" (The New York Times)."
- Venango Honors Program Open Forum: Thursday, December 3rd at 4:00 - 5:00 in Honors Lounge