The News tool allows you to post announcements on your course homepage. These announcements will be displayed in the News widget, typically located in the center column on the course homepage. The News Tool is a quick and powerful way to communicate efficiently with all the students in your course.
1. On the course homepage, click the New News Item icon at the top of the News widget.
2. Enter the news headline in the Headline field.
3. Enter the news content in the Content field.
If you want to hide your headline's date and time, clear the Always Show Start Date check-box. By default, a news item's start date and time appears below its headline when displayed in the News widget.
4. Select the posting availability date in the Start Date and End Date drop-down lists or by clicking their Select Date icons. News items are published immediately unless you specify an alternate start date by using the Start Date drop-down list.
5. You can make News remove an item on a specific date by selecting the check-box Remove news item based on end date. You and administrators can still see the news item after its end date, but it will not appear in the News widget.
Including Attachments and Audio Recordings in News Item:
1. Click Add a File in the Attachments section of a new News Item.
2. To record audio, click the Record Audio in the Attachments section. Click Flash Settings to make adjustments to your microphone selection and volume. Click Clear to erase your recording.
Note: Make sure that you check the Flash Settings to ensure the settings allow D2L access to your microphone. Click Allow and Remember before clicking Close.
3. Click Attach Existing or Create and Attach to include additional release conditions.
4. Click Save as Draft to continue editing the news item (students cannot see draft news items), or click Publish to release news item to users.
Note: If the news item has a future release date, the Publish button will change to Schedule. Click Schedule to publish a news item with a future release date.
1. Click the drop-down menu on the News Item you wish to edit, and select Edit.
2. Edit your news posting.
3. Select the "Major edit- send notification and restore it for those who dismissed it" check box to inform users of major changes and updates to postings they might have dismissed, ensuring those headlines reappear with current information in students' News Widgets. Be sure to update the date under "availability" to the current date and time (Click Now) when Checking "Major edit" to move your edited News Item to the top of your News postings list in the News widget. This will help assure students see it!
Note: You should not select the major edit check box for changes to news item end dates, release conditions, and formatting.
4. You can also make the edited news posting reappear at the top of the News widget by changing its Start Date to the current date and time.
5. Click Update.
1. On the main news, or global news page, click Reorder.
2. Use the drop-down lists in the Sort Order column to select an item's order. Other items automatically reposition themselves according to the new order.
3. Click Save.
1. Click the Delete icon for the news item you want to delete.
2. A confirmation box will pop up. Click Delete to confirm that you want to permanently remove the post.